1 week and still happy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Well I put these two in last week, the velvet damsel Saturday and the yellow tail on Sunday.

They seem like best buddies. I have been told they like to be by themselves. How long if they are going to stay friends? The velvet damsel picks at everything, especially the feather dusters. But pretty much leaves the little damsel alone even at feeding time.

You can see sammy the bumble be snail, upside down under the live-rock, and my clam or something of that nature is just infront of the yellow tail at about 40º down at an angle.

I am thinking to add one more somekind of fish, but don't really need to. Just would like a little more color contrast. Been thinking maybe around Christmas of getting some bright clown.

hansel_grettle.jpg

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
Since your tank has only beet setup for 1 week, you should wait a while before adding anything else to it and let it go through the cycle. I had the velvet damsel for about 8 months in my tank and when I bought him he was barely an inch. Within a bout two months he doubled in size. I called him my monster fish =) He quickly outgrew my 25 gallon so I put him in my 40 and he messed up everything and grew very territorial. He stirred up the sand and made craters, pushed over my rock structures and beat up my clownfish and six line. These damsels do not do well with anything else. Eventually I traded mine back the to LFS.

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
Since you have chosen to keep damsels you are pretty much stuck with them unless you remove them and go for something more docile. Damsels are notoriously territorial and will harass any new additions to your tank. Btw, for what it's worth....cycling your tank with damsels is a very bad idea......as it is not only mean to the fish but it allows these territorial fish a chance to set up territories and dominate your tank.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
OOPS, I probaly should have mentioned my tanks is over a month old, I have had the damsels in now for a week.

When will they exibit the territorial thing? Is it at a maturity thing or is it a longevity in the tank thing? I have a theory I may try unless someone else has tried it.

But I'm thinking that the smaller the fish, the lower on the food chain thing. Thus a small fish is used to being predated and will be quick or die. Problem is I am not real willing to find out on a $30 fish.

As small as they are now, I am more apt to introduce something, but after a few months, probably not. I do love the colors, and wouldn't mind a bright red, orange fish in the mix.

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
I think the only way you will be able to have anything else in that tank, especially a clownfish, is if you get rid of that velvet damsel. He will get big and mean very fast and terrorize everything in the tank. I even added mine last to the tank and the damsel still was mean to the other fish. In a 30 gallon, the damsel is going to outgrow really soon and he'll probably beat up the blue damsel too.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
What kind of snail is that in your tank? It's huge!
It's a stompistoma moosellius (moose stompin) snail.

You can get a better idea with my latest pic of my aquarium. I still need to update my blogs :dive2:

moose_skull.jpg

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
I bought the antlers (live rock) today. I needed to fill the upper tank a little and then had an image of a moose in my snail tank. Well it sortof looks like a raindeer, so maybe I decorate for Christmass. I guess some red and green corals and algea would be appropriate.

Did I ever say I am not totally normal? :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store