Does everyone here w/ cories use Sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
I am feeling just terrible. I have 5 cories in my 28g tall tank. They started out in my 10 with gravel and I ended up buying gravel for the 28, after debating about sand and reading so many different opinions. The sand was expensive, so I went with black gravel. Well, now I'm seeing that all the cories, except the Peppered, are missing some or all of their barbells. :wall: I wish I'd gotten sand in that tank now.

SO, today on a whim, I picked up a bag of black sand and put it in my 10 gal. tank. I figured that would be an easier one to work on changing out. I wanted to get rid of the colorful gravel I'd started with in there anyway. I like the cories having more room to run in the 28, but I'm wondering if I should move them back into the 10, once the sand settles down? The only other fish that will be in there are a betta and 4 guppies. And one snail will move back in too.

It seems like more people have gravel than sand, so I was just wondering what you all do.

When we get our BIG tank, either next month or in Jan., I'll get it running and I'll probably go with sand. Then I'll take the 28 apart and redo it too, most likely.

Gahhhhh, I have SO much I want to do, but it's a slow process, since I'm not Rockefeller, ya know. :y220d:

Thanks for any advice!

Chele&Luke

Confused Mostly...
May 18, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm also interested in the replies to this one. I have gravel too, but haven't had any trouble ... YET!!!

I was considering making a 'sandpit' for them to play in, but now that the 15g is looking like being a 'cory tank' I may just switch the whole tank over if I can find some (non sharp) dark sand I like the look of.

Would be nice to get it sorted before I run into trouble :)

Digital

IC3D
Nov 18, 2007
Fairfield County, CT
www.ic3d.net
Real Name
Marc Digital
I never did sand for the bottom, only gravel. Never experienced that problem.

MaryPa

AC Members
Oct 21, 2003
York Co.Pennsylvania
Visit site
I use sand in all my tanks. My Cories are very happy, yes they told me so.:)

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I use play sand in my 75g, but do I wish I had a different color. The waste makes it look brown and nasty, and I can't wait to get a few more foreground plants to cover it. My cories love it though.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Tumbled gravel in 2 tanks, and sand in my large tank. I've never had an issue.

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
I have gravel in all of mine and never had a problem with barbels getting smaller....but maybe their barbels are getting shorter because of high nitrates? They're really sensitive to high nitrates.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Use small round amazon river gravel and have no issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store