Algae Removal and Growing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
So in my tank I have only a 15 watt fluorescent 10,000K light over my 20H. However, I have my lights on for maybe about 15 hours a day; I put them on at 7am when I go to school and turn them off maybe around 10pm. All I have are fish and a piece of live rock. Would it be fine for me to have it be on from maybe 7:00am-10:00am and then turn off from about 10:00am-3:00pm and then turn on from 3:00pm-10:00pm. This means I would runthe lights for a few hours, then turn them off for 5 hours, and then run them again for 7 hours. I heard that this is a good way to get rid of algae as they can't withstand the changing light too well. What do you guys say. BTW, the algae I see it just green algae on my glass, only a small bit, and some on my deco. Also, will coraline algae eventually start to appear on its own or do I not have even close to enough lighting to get coraline growing. I have a piece of live rock with some coraline on it that came already on it.

USCavalry19d

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
Lexington, ky
well in my honest opinion i would have to deter you from doing that. the constant turning on and off of the lights wil end up stressing your fish out more than anything. What are your water parameters. If you could post them so we could try to point you into the right direction of ridding the algae that would be better.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I agree with USCD on this, as its a fish only tank, why not just put the lights on when you come home school and turn them off at 10pm? the lighting is really only there for your pleasure, not the fish...and i would not expect much coralline at in the tank..

Niko

Sonicblast12

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
I think 15 hours will be a never ending source of algae. Shaving a few hours off wouldn't hurt a thing.

Cutting that lighting period in half wouldn't be a bad idea if you're really concerned about the algae.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
hmmm well I may get a light from home depot if they have that is 24" long and has 2 20watt fluorescent bulbs. This would put me at 2wpg, would that grow coraline and my live rock well?

Morel

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
As far as I know it should be.. It may grow on the slow side, but as long as you keep the water quality good it will grow.... Though I wouldn't use the standard bulbs from Home Depot. In order to get the best results (and to make your tank look its best) you should get a 10k bulb and a Antic bulb.. The standard lights would make bad algae grow like crazy in most cases..

Last edited:

ChangDriX

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
515 Iowa
I've had my tank up for around like 4-5 months and the coraline is just now really starting to seed my live rock, it takes time bro, but it's going like mad now though....makes things really feel like they're paying off don't worry in time it will bloom

Last edited:

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
I've had my tank up for around like 4-5 months and the coraline is just now really starting to seed my live rock, it takes time bro, but it's going like mad now though....makes things really feel like they're paying off don't worry in time it will bloom
what size tank and what lights do you have on it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store