Plants that can handle current...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Java ferns, moss and anubias handle current well.

Onion plants and african fern prefers current.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
This is a good thread since I am contemplating setting up a river tank that of course I'll try a few plants. Any other plants folks have had luck with? By river I mean like a couple thousand gallons per hour possibly in a 40g long, unidirectional (hillstream loach tank). it will probably be to hard to keep co2 in it, so it will probably be low tech.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
You shouldn't try to go high-tech planted in a river tank anyways. Java ferns and anubias seem to be the most popular plants for river tanks.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Yeah, that will be the mainstay of the plants anyhow, java fern and anubias. Since bolbitis was mentioned I may try that as well. probably most of the tank I plan on having small river stones all the way up to good sized rocks so there wont be a lot of substrate to root plants in anyhow, so ferns, anubias, and maybe mosses will fit the bill there. Its just a thought though, not sure if I will setup this river tank or not, got to finish my big tank first.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
African bolbitus/fern actually prefers to be planted in current and does great near filter and powerhead outputs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store