Seahorses

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Why is it that you can't house other fish in a sea horse set up? Even gentle fish that wouldn't feed on the brine shrimp?

oddsbotkins

AC Members
Oct 20, 2007
You can add fish. I have manderians, ocellarius clownfish, firefish with my seahorses. As long as the fish are not aggressive, should be fine. Main problem is feeding. Seahorses will not generally chase food, so food has to come to them. Fish tend to chase the food. So, most of the time seahorses wont get enough food to eat. What you can do is place a plastic trap in the tank and teach seahorses to swim into it, then feed them in the trap. Soon the seahorses will associate the trap with food, and book-it into the trap.
My horses see the trap, and they actually start to dance. They swim right in, get fed, eat till they wont eat anymore, then I put them back in the tank. No problems. Been doing it this way for YEARS.
Just make sure the seahorses you buy, are tank raised, and eat frozen foods. I have unfortunatly purchased some wild caught horses, and they usually die soon. had some luck with the wild ones, as long as I feed them live mysis shrimp everyday. If you need live mysis, I find that Sachs aquaculture (st. Augustine FL) has the best mysis, and the cheapest prices, with FREE SHIPPING!!!!! their website is www.aquaculturestore.com
Flow rate should be a bit lower that a main reef system, or seahorses will get blown all over the place. Slow current, but ZERO dead spots. If you have dead spots (zero current) that is were disease will form.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store