Betta and Dwarf Honey Gourami?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
My male betta currently does great with his tank mates (two cherry barbs) but they cant stay in there, when I get my larger tank I'm going to be putting them in there so they have more room and can have more of their own kind. So, that has left me with the question of, what can I put with my betta? I got a dwarf honey gourami the other night. He his currently in QT. They are supposed to be the most peaceful of the gouramis. He can swim pretty fast also... possibly he might be an option for my bettas new tank mate? Its a 10 gallon tank. Currently has a good sized dwarf aquarium lilly, two fake plants, a large vase cave and a small little candle holder cave. I will be removing the fake plants and adding some java moss and another live plant, maybe a java fern or something similar, not sure yet, so there will be plenty of hiding posts/cover.

What do you think? worth a try? Maybe I should try the gourami with other fish and see how he acts?

Gwenkat

AC Members
Sep 24, 2007
South Carolina
I my experience bettas and gouramis don't mix. The betta will attack the gourami.

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
Yea, I figured you all would probably say no but it was just a thought. Do you think the gourami would be ok with tetras and the bumble bee gobies?

Maybe I will just let my betta have the place to himself once the barbs are gone.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Yea, I figured you all would probably say no but it was just a thought. Do you think the gourami would be ok with tetras and the bumble bee gobies?

Maybe I will just let my betta have the place to himself once the barbs are gone.
The gourami will be just fine with the tetras and gobies. As for the betta, I had one in a ten gallon all by himself, except for a couple of cories. He was one happy fish, busy exploring everything and occasionally inspecting those two strange guys hanging around the bottom. :) I think yours will do fine with the ten to himself.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
In my experience, bettas and gouramis do perfectly well together.

It's a matter of picking the right gourami species, and having both betta and gourami be female.

But that is not to say two males couldn't get on well together.

I'm not saying I would take the chance - but the first incarnation of my Asian tank had a female betta and a female three spot gourami who not only got along fine, but the betta was the only fish the gourami didn't chase away from time to time. Want to know something else? Every time my nasty cherry barb harassed the betta, he found himself chased away viciously by the gourami! Ms. Betta had a bodyguard.

Right now I have a second generation in that tank - consisting of another female betta and now a female pearl gourami - again, not one ounce of aggression. Even at feeding time you will see betta and gourami eating together without the slightest bit of conflict.

If your male betta is as placid as you say, and this gourami is placid as well, it might work out just fine. I'm not sure I would try it in a 10g...maybe a 20 long or a 30 long...lots of plants and wood.

Put them in together. Stay vigilantly next to the tank for a few hours, maybe a few days. If you see them pretty much ignoring each other, you will know it's safe to keep permanent.

But again just to reiterate - i am not saying that you should do this, only that it could work out if done correctly.

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
I'm thinking I will just let the betta have the place to himself. Hes not completely "placid" He does at times chase the barbs around for a few seconds but they are fast and theres plenty of hiding spots so no one ever gets hurt. he gets bored and goes back to his bubble blowing. The barbs just chase eachother around all the time and don't bother him. I wouldn't put any real slow fish in with him. And I believe they are both males so I'm thinking best if I don't try it. I would do cories but I wouldn't keep cories in a 10 for a permanent home. the ones in mine wont be in there for much longer. I think he will be happy by himself. Ill just put some shrimp in there to keep him occupied once I start my shrimp tanks :p

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
how small? what species? the ones I have now grow to 2 inches and even now at less than that they are way too active. I feel bad about keeping them in there but Ive had setbacks in getting my larger tank. If there really are some cories that would be ok in a ten gallon I would consider it.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
how small? what species? the ones I have now grow to 2 inches and even now at less than that they are way too active.
There's a thread here you might find handy.

:idea:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store