LFS, good fish bad fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Edge of the New Forest, Hampshire UK
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
GOOD FISH:headbang2:
BAD FISH:eek3:
I get to travel a little bit in my work and when alls gone well i get to go to a lfs
if its near(ish)
Hear are two of my latest finds.....
Good fish. longnosed bat fish £ 45. With a sale tag of owners favorite fish and no you can't afford it.
These grow to 30+cm but it looked a fascinating fish.
Bad fish. Regal tang in a poorly lit/filtered overstocked display tank with no explanation just prices. This one made me sad/mad and disgusted :eek:
What have you seen??????????

DSC00225_edited.jpg DSC00028.jpg DSC00029_edited.jpg

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
How are you distinguishing between good fish and bad fish? How the LFS keep them? Or their suitably for a hobbyist? The Batfish (I live the Pinnate) don't make great hobbyist fish because of their needs...huge tanks not just in length but in height to accomodate their fins. They pretty much require a fish only tank and with no fin nippers housed with them.

The blue hippo on the hand can be a great reef tank fish. Although the one in the photo there looks like it might have HLLE (hard to tell with the lighting)

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
Just based on first reaction to seeing the fish,as in wow factor.
Not saying i want the bat but i did go wow then took the pic so it had an effect on me.
On the other hand the tang was in a lfs stuck to the side of a garden shop looked dirty and under kept so made me think bad.
Maybe should of said interresting / disturbing finds!!
If the tang had of been on his own QT/ hospitalised then that would of been ok but it just looked neglected and when i asked the 'shop assistant' she said "i dont think its for sale look sad to me":confused:

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Ah well I have several great LFSs around me. The stuff that I've found disturbing have included

ich infested systems with employees and customers clueless what the "pretty white dots" were

several blue linkias in a state of deteriation

flame scallops that showed visible signs of why they are best left in the ocean

sea fans and sun corals looking poorly and found out they weren't feeding them. They had no clue they needed to be

signs on SW tanks recommending newbies stock 1" per gallon

beautiful sea apples being suggested to someone with a new reef tank

...sadly the list could go but like I said I'm lucky to also see a lot of things done right

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
Umm, only yesterday i heard a customer explaining that after the loss of ten fish his remaining two have, for the last week seemed fine could you tell what that is?and how much is it?are they easy?
The THAT he was referring to was a Red Crinoid (feather star) The girl said she would find out and that yes they are very easy to look after!!!!!!!!!!!
The man reserved it then came back for another look were i took the opportunity to tell him to do more research before spending £40+ and killing a beautiful animal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store