Purple Crab

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Hi guys,

I just got a new piece of very nice live rock from my LFS, has lots of things growing on it such as very purple and green coraline algae growing on it as well as many other things. I will post a picture later. Well, I turned the lights of and turned them back on, and I found a crab moving inside the rock. I will get pics of it as soon as possible. I know there are very many types of crabs it could be, but is there anything we could narrow it down to? It was small, maybe like a bit smaller than a dime and it was purple. I know it's not much but if I ever see it again I will photo it. Those crabs that are bad to have, will they be bad to have even though I will not get coral? Oh, also I found some tanish/brown, actually like many of them, one a bit bigger, many smaller ones, with tons of tentacles. Any ideas? Pics coming Oh and how can I make a crab trap???

Thanks

Last edited:

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The brown with tentacles are most likely a pest anemome would need a photo to make any kind of real ID though. On the crab, will definitely need a photo and I recommend reading up on how to protect yourself from introducing uninvited hitchhikers into your display. Even with good methods you may get them, but with no methods I'd bet money on you getting them.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
alright, and where can I read this stuff?? Yes and after checking through pictures, It does seem I do have some aiptasia. I have one a bit bigger one and two smaller ones, that I can see and have only seen those when searching. Why are they considered as such bad pests?
Thanks.

Last edited:

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
tomorrow morning I will take out the rock and find the crab. I got it out of a whole and saw it crawl on the sand a bit. It was about the size of a dime and it was black and purple, and it had a white spot on each leg where the knee would be about. I will try to capture it tomorrow since the live rock piece is so small, only 1.5lbs and its a pretty flat piece. Also, yes, the anemones are infact a few aiptasias, I have confirmed that from many pictures.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
alright, and where can I read this stuff??
Many methods available using the search button up above, searching google, or reading one of the books suggested in other replies to questions.

Yes and after checking through pictures, It does seem I do have some aiptasia. I have one a bit bigger one and two smaller ones, that I can see and have only seen those when searching. Why are they considered as such bad pests?
Thanks.
They multiply rapidly and have a potent sting that can harm other marine life.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
Gotta love Hitchhikers! :)

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
well, i have wondered this for a long time, not only for aquariums, but also fishing. Where can I get a hypodermic needle or the really skinny ones for the lime juice or that for the aipsatsia?

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
so they will just give them if you ask for one??? Also, here are pics of the mystery anemone, most likely an aipstasia. Took 3 cameras to find one that finally got an alright picture of the thing. Oh, and this is my new live rock piece, and I will be getting more tomorrow. Please tell me of some ways how to properly take out unwanted critters before putting it in the tank. Can't find good ones on the search, sorry, and thanks.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store