Anyone able to identify black spots?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
I bought 4 columbian tetras from a local pet store about a year ago, and 3 of the 4 have developed these black blotches. They are not stress spots, but much larger and usually form where the body connects with the tail. The three which had developed these spots died within a month or so after they blotches appeared. None of my other fish have been affected. Any idea what this could be?

tetra.jpg

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
it could be that it's just a color. do spots appear to have anything to them besides the color? do they have deapth to them? any tecsture?

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
the temp is held around 25 or 26 c

is the other columbian tetra (or my other tetras- flame and serpe) susceptible to the disease?

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
i'm inclined to think they are more than just spots- none of the tetras had these when i bought them and they all died after they appeared. it is weird though because they all developed the spots seperately, months apart. only one of the tetras, the last one that died (in the pic) had the scales come off on one spot of black, it looked like a cut or scrape and i'm not sure if he hurt himself or if it was associated with the spot.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
i looked up the black spot deasease and it states that the black spot appears from parasite. and even if parasite moves around the spot stays. they say there is no treatment for it and it stays in the tank unless all hosts removed from the system for a while, including snails. i hope someone knows what to do. maybe salt?:huh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store