I didn't know that plecos were escape artists!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Margaret1975

AC Members
Aug 15, 2007
Yesterday, I purchased a small albino bristlenose pleco. I put him in the tank and everything seemed fine. This morning, I woke up to find him all dried out on the floor.:eek: I guess that he squeezed through a half inch opening next to the filter. It's the only way that he could have gotten out. I'm so heartbroken. :sad:I plugged that hole and I'm going to get a new one today, but it doesn't make the pain go away. I really liked him!

Does anyone have any experience with a pleco escape artist? I never heard of them before.:confused:

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I have a tank full of them and so far, no one has sucked their way out of the openings in the back of the tank. The babies have been known to suck their way up the HOB water outflow and into the filter box, so I am always very careful when I clean the filter box.

Margaret1975

AC Members
Aug 15, 2007
There was a fair amount of algae on the glass in the tank when I put him in there. I think that he may have gotten a little too excited last night and sucked his way out:cry:

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Bummer. Those things are amazing. I wish my store had them.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
Wow, I'm So sorry that happened to you! I'm ordering a baby from a gal on here, I'll definitely make sure there aren't any openings before he gets here.

Annette

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
Sorry to hear it, but yeah, it happens sometimes. Plecos often breach pretty hard taking a gulp of air, and every now and then it sails them right out of the tank. I even had one chew through a soft mesh intake, wiggle up the intake pipe, and and right into the impeller! Very sad, she'd just laid eggs too... You don't have to take extreme measures with your tank when a pleco is resident, but try to cover the obvious spots a natural breach could carry one out.

Carp37

Catfish and Cichlid lover
Jul 11, 2007
Aughton, UK
I bought 4 baby bristlenose a few months ago- after 2 days I found one of them dried up on the carpet, and it must have climbed up at least 4" of glass above the water line. Since then I've made sure that all my tanks have well-fitting condensation trays.

It's pretty upsetting when it happens though....

drobin31

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
My pleco has disappeared, too. Maybe he did the same thing. I will check the floor! Thanks for the tip.

ansbfish

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
they also go into the HOB filters...

They come up for "gulps" of air sometime, but I've also noticed my two commons like to try to swim up the current (kinda like a river or stream I guess) and they will jump into HOB filters. I since switched to canister and they spend all night stuck on things right in front of the canister outlet, and try to swim into it, but since its so small they just hang out near it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store