20 gallon brackish question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PufferNewbie

AC Members
Apr 16, 2003
Visit site
i have a 20 gallon brackish and all i have is a 20 gallon FW set up + instant ocean salts and a hydrometer

I have a figure 8 and a green spotted atm.. but its not a perfect combo.. they'll probably outgrow them soon.. i've had them for about 7 months now

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
Thanks puffernewbie, i dont really want a fish that will ougrow my tank, but i also want something besides puffers. I like the figure 8s though, had one once in my FW setup. I know bad idea. Anyways, I would like to keep puffers but i also want some otehr kind of fish too besides the puffer(ok i will stop saying htat now).

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
I have the same size tank and same set-up as PufferNewbie.
My fish include:

2 Knight Gobys
2 Bumblebee Gobys
1 Flounder
1 Platy
1 Glassfish
2 Anableps (these will eventually outgrow the tank though).

Check into getting some gobies. They are the coolest! The flounder is pretty neat too.

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
AWESOME link trickster. Lots of info

That sounds like a cool set up nippy. Instead of the anableps, could i put a puffer or two in its place? Do you know the scientific name of the flounder? Sounds cool. Right now these are the fish i was
1-2 Figure 8s
2 gobies of some kind

and then whatever else floats my boat:D

Last edited:

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
I am not sure about the Puffers, since I am not a puffer person. But i can say that if you do a brackish tank and want to use Mollies and Glassfish, they like to be kept in schools. So if you get these guys, get more than one or 2. I would put atleast 3 or 4 mollies, 1 male and 3 females or for glass fish, atleast 6. :)
The brackish fish i have kept are:
chromides
Mollies
Knight Gobies
and a few wild killies that converted to fresh.
jim

SBA

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Birmingham, UK
Visit site
bear in mind that puffers of all species can be fin nippers. i have two SA puffers (FW) and one just can't help himself whenever there's a juicy looking cory fin around. the other one couldn't care less.

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
ive had one b4 and it wasnt that bad. It was an f8. Then again it might not have likes FW too much. Bad mistake. I really like puffers and it would be a shame to pass over them in a brackish set up.

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
The only book I have found the flounder in is very old (about 30 years) so this name may be way out of date:
Achirus errans

As for the puffers, I don't have any experience with brackish ones, but if I remember correctly, they will all eventually outgrow a 20 gallon. I have 2 dwarf puffers but they are in freshwater. Don't know if they can be acclimated to brackish. And they are evil fin nippers. When I first got them, I would watch them calculatingly sneak up on the other fish, viciously nip their tails and then gleefully run away. Little meanies. :mad: :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store