New Mushrooms

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
So, I went to buy some live rock today that I found on craigslist. My tank is a 20 gallon high tank, and I had about 4 pounds before. Now, I bought some new very nice live rock that had been in an established tank for about 3 years. The live rock has tons of green and purple coraline on it in addition to various other critters. I did go through it and took of some of the bubble algae that was on it. I did see a few bristle stars, small ones though. Those are beneficial to my tank am I correct? In addition to the rock, he gave me a good piece with some mushrooms on it. The major mushroom is a green mushroom I believe and it is about 1 inch in diameter and there ia a blue one about an inch in diameter and maybe about 10 small ones like half an inch or under. My lighting is only 15 watts fluorescent from above and 15 watts from the side pointing at the live rock and those corals. Will this be anough lighting? Also, do I need to feed the corals anything or is there any special care I must give them? Oh, and now, I have about 15 pounds for my 20gal and I got all 10 pounds for only $23!! Wow hehe..
thanks

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
The small brittle stars are beneficial. IMO I should think you would need more wattage - are they just standard flourescents? sounds like they are. You will probably need to invest in some more intense lighting near term. Your LR really doesn't need anything special, but now that you have the shrooms...you need the right lighting. What doyou plan on keeping?

BTW....GREAT deal on the rock, sounds like you got a terrific find!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Alright, that's good to know. I saw one maybe about 1.5 inches from 1 tentacle tip to the other, and that was the biggest haha. When I was arranging the live rock, I found 3 more puny ones on the back glass of the aquarium. I may get a 24" double fluorescent strip this week if I can find one for a reasonable strip. That would put me at 30 watts of 10,000K lighting, while right now I only have a 15 watt 10,000K fluorescent bulb and the 15 watt light outside of the tank pointing in. I put the mushroom rock in more of the center of the tank and I put them up pretty high so it seems as if they are getting some good light. And yes, the rock I am VERY pleased with and I can't believe it was only $2.25 a pound, woohoo. I have about 17 pounds of it now, will that be enough for starters right now?

Thanks a lot almondsaz!!! Oh and I don't plan on adding any other corals in the near future, this will do for me.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
hmmm. Well, how much light will I need to be able to even sustain only the coraline??

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
hmmm. Well, how much light will I need to be able to even sustain only the coraline??
In order to keep the coralline alive, it won't take much light. Our 20g H refugium is only lit by two 15w T8s (10,000K bulbs) and coralline algae covers the glass -- all the way down to the sand bed (red, pink, purple, some green near the very top). Our macro algae grows well under that light as well, although upgrading those lights has pretty much been on my list from the start. I just haven't got around to it, as there's very little space above our refugium -- barely enough for those two T8 strip lights as it is.

As for the mushrooms, they'd definitely benefit from some more light. Two 55w / 65w PCs would be a good light choice, although 2, 3, or even 4 T5 HO with individual reflectors would be a better choice (depending on what else you'd like to keep). Either set-up could be DIY-ed pretty easily if you're into that sort of thing, otherwise, a two bulb PC fixture is going to be cheaper than any T5 HO fixture with the appropriate reflectors. Cost is all relative though... PC bulbs cost more than T5 HO bulbs, PC bulbs require more frequent replacement than T5 HO bulbs, and PC bulbs generate less light intensity per watt than T5 HO bulbs. That said, what's cheaper to buy now could easily end up costing more in the long run.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
alright, well I'm pretty set on what I am going to get. I am thinking about the current fixture which has one moonlight and I think fans. It is a 65 watt PC light, and I think I only need this because I WILL NOT be getting any more other corals since I am gone every summer. All I will keep is live rock and the shrooms that I have. The shrooms will do fin with this lighting right? Also, is there anything I need to feed the shrooms or anything I nee to add in the water to keep them and the live rock healthy?? How long to the PC lights last about?
Thanks a lot!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
well I am thinking that I will just have a friend come over and feed them maybe 3 times a week or so and we'll see I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store