Lighting for my 20 gallon FOWLR

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
So, in my 20 gallon high tank right now I have about 17 pounds of live rock and I have some mushrooms that I got for free. I currently only have the stock 15 watt light over it which is 10,000K. I will be keeping the mushrooms close to the light as my lighting is so low. My questions is, would I be able to use one of these on my tank?http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=346 I know it is only 20 inches long for my 24 inch long aquarium, but I would almost rather have only 36 watts than 65 watts, which I believe would bring me much more unwanted algae. With the 36 watt light on my 20 gallon, I would be at roughly 2 watts per gallon. With this, would I be able to grow coraline algae and keep the mushrooms I have; I will not add any corals for now. Well, it seems as is that light were out of stock. What about this light: http://www.tricitytropicals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=243 Now again I have rethought, how would 36 watts do? I found a good deal on one.

thanks!

Last edited:

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I have never heard anything good about aquatraders so I would check them out but that second light your linked too would be a good light if you dont plan on any more corals or at least just low light corals.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
alright, so with 65 watts that puts me just over 3wpg. With this, will I get an excessive amount of the unwanted algae such as the green stuff and hair algae and so on. Also, I will get the good coraline algae most likely correct?

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
yes that light will grow coralline algea, the unwanted algea comes from several things but not just the lights, high nutrients, poor water conditions and poor water flow are the main causes of the unwanted algeas

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Well, now I found a deal on craigslist on an almost brandnew coralife fixture which is 2x65 watts. The lighting fixture includes one 65 watt 10,000K bulb and one 65 watt actinic bulb. Would this be way overkill if I will only be keeping live rock and the mushrooms that I have right now? By the way, I can get this fixture for $70, is that good? That's a lot for a light though... but if I need it I need it. Oh and finally, with this light fixture, what type of hood shood I use; right now I have the stock plastic hood on it and I know this will not work. Would one of the glass tops work well with this tank or should I just buy some glass or what???
Thanks again!

Last edited:

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Again, I have redecided what I will do. Since the owner lived far away from my house, I will not be getting the 2x65 watt coralife fixture. Instead, I have planned out what I will use as a fixture. Since I do not have a pc, but a macbook, I do not have paint so I cannot draw my fixture. I will explain it as best as I can. First, I will put in a 15 watt fluorescent 10,000K lightbulb with the white reflector that comes stock with the normal aquarium lights. Then, I will put in two of the coralife mini compact fluorescent 50/50 lights that are 20 watts each, with aluminum sheets as reflectors.http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753932&cp=2767036.2769134&fbn=Taxonomy%7CLighting+%26+Hoods&fbc=1&clickid=topnav_dropdown4_link10&parentPage=family&keepsr=1. This will put me at a total of 55 watts for my 20 gallon high tank. Will this be able to sustain good coraline algae growth and will it be able to sustain my mushrooms if they are high up in the tank and close to the light? It would look something like this...

------------------------------ (15 watt fluorescent)
o--------- ----------o

So I would have the fluorecent tube like in the back and the 2 20 watters in the front in front of the tube. This in total would give me 35 watts 10,000K and 20 watts Actinic 03 Blue. How would this be for my tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store