Angelfish and Compatible Tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AngelfishGirl19

AC Members
Nov 26, 2007
I'm not telling.
So far I have this for my new 30 gallon tank:
-2 Angelfish
-4 Albino Cory Cats

What would seem interesting to add to this list? Ex: Gouramis etc.

Yes I know that the angels fight if they are both the same sex and I know they have territorial disputes. Thanks.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I don't think you should have Gourami in that size tank with Angels.

At adult size, 2 Angels in there is pretty much maxing out the tank; hopefully they would be a pair and not beat the tar out of each other. Less risk/not likely to need to move one would be 1 Angel as a Centrepiece, with the corys and some schoolers...Angels grown from juvenile with e.g. neon tetras often will not prey on the tetras...could consider harelquin rasporas in that regard too...or perhaps a larger tetra (I am no expert on these - so hopefully someone else can chip in).

Bottom line, I would try 1 Angel, 4/5 corys, and a school of smaller fish, unless I had a back up plan to cope with an Angel which didn't get on with its Angel tank mate.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
while angels do get failry large (6 inches) they will not take up the entire 30 gallon tank. still, it would not be advisable to add anything to the tank because you do have 4 albino corydoras, which can get pretty big, for corydoras.

it is likely that your angels will begin to fight. if they do, you will need to seperate them.

even if angels grow up with neons, cardinals, zebra danios, endlers, and even guppies, they will be regarded as food as soon as the angel are big enough. even otos are at risk. neons and cardinals are the angel's natural prey in the wild, and often coexsist. larger tetras such as glolites, black neons, rummynose, lemons, and red eyes will be fine.

Coler's stocking does sound right though. 1 angel will be a fine centerpiece for the tank, along with the 4 corydoras and then a school of larger tetras.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Can't resist ignoring the fun so..

Black Neon Tetra(Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)
Black Phantom Tetra(Megalamphodus megalopterus)
Bleeding Heart Tetra(Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma)
Diamond Tetra(Moenkhausia pittieri)
Emperor Tetra(Nematobrycon palmeri)
Flame Tetra(Hyphessobrycon flammeus)
Glass Bloodfin(Prionobrama filigera)
Glowlight Tetra(Hemigrammus eryhthrozonus)
Head-and-Tail-Light(Hemigrammus ocellifer)
Jewel Tetra(Hyphessobrycon callistus)
Kerri Tetra(Inpaichthys kerri)
Lemon Tetra(Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis)
Penguin tetra(Thayeria boehlkei)
Red-eye Tetra(Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae)
Red Phantom Tetra(Hyphessobrycon sweglesi)
Rosy Tetra(Hyphessobrycon bentosi)
Rummy-Nose Tetra(Hemigrammus bleheri)
Rummy-Nose Tetra(Hemigrammus rhodostomus)
Rummy-Nose Tetra(Petitella georgiae)
X-ray Tetra(Pristella maxillaris)

I snip off some species from the list as they are either prone to predation or they themselves try to trim down the angelfish's fins.

MontyGoose

AC Members
Oct 5, 2007
Serpaes, Bleeding Hearts, and Red eye tetras are nice 'bigger' schooling tetras so the angels wont want to eat them..

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Serpaes, Bleeding Hearts, and Red eye tetras are nice 'bigger' schooling tetras so the angels wont want to eat them..
There has to be a reason why I snip off the serpaes from the list I posted.;)

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
There has to be a reason why I snip off the serpaes from the list I posted.;)
the going after long flowing fins might be that reason:perv:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Yes I know that the angels fight if they are both the same sex and I know they have territorial disputes. Thanks.
They might fight if they are both female. . . they will fight if they are both male. . and if they pair up (male/female or possibly female/female) they will fight with everyone else to protect their eggs. I really don't think two in a 30 is a good idea. I have 4 in a 150 5ft long tank, and they still harass each other and defend territory vigorously.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store