Is this price good for live cured rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fyrfighter2004

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
Im going to be setting up a 24gal nano reef tank in a couple of weeks. Like a good boy Im doing my homework :read: This way i know what Im getting myself into when I begin the process. my lfs (not a chain) which i frequent quite often, and love their staff has live cured rock for $5.99 a pound. ill be getting 30 lbs which before tax is roughly $180. The manager there said if i start my tank with all cured live rock, my tank should not go through much of a cycle. Of course i would still try to start one just to be safe. BTW I am not big on buying livestock off the internet i like to see what i am getting so theres no surprises :eek3:.

1- good price?
2- is he full of it?

One more thing, with such a small tank my 10-20% water changes will be rather small, this store also sells premixed RO salt water for .89 do ya think that is pretty good as id rather just spend a couple of dollars every week or so than investing in an RO unit. Right now anyways

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
Im going to be setting up a 24gal nano reef tank in a couple of weeks. Like a good boy Im doing my homework :read: This way i know what Im getting myself into when I begin the process. my lfs (not a chain) which i frequent quite often, and love their staff has live cured rock for $5.99 a pound. ill be getting 30 lbs which before tax is roughly $180. The manager there said if i start my tank with all cured live rock, my tank should not go through much of a cycle. Of course i would still try to start one just to be safe. BTW I am not big on buying livestock off the internet i like to see what i am getting so theres no surprises :eek3:.

1- good price?
2- is he full of it?

One more thing, with such a small tank my 10-20% water changes will be rather small, this store also sells premixed RO salt water for .89 do ya think that is pretty good as id rather just spend a couple of dollars every week or so than investing in an RO unit. Right now anyways
Cured Live Rock in my area runs anywhere from 4.99 to 7.99 (fiji) and then ranges up from there slightly for the other types. I think 5.99 is a rather competitive price for a LFS.

You would still want to cycle the tank but having CLR would probably shorten the process as long as there wasn't much die off.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
check first for your local craigslist area maybe. I got some VERY NICE live rock with even some mushroom corals and tons of coraline algae (green,red,purple etc...) for only $2.25 a pound. But it's not horrible, my LFS has fiji cured live rock for $9.99 a pound.

oscar1

Registered Member
Jan 7, 2007
hi yes thats a good buy at $5.99 im in england i get fiji exellent quality l/r at £11 kilo, also you say you gonna do a water change every wk. with ro, why not buy sw instead saves you mixing salt with ro, over here i buy ro @ £2.50 or sw @ £4.00 from my lfs, only use ro to top up when required, and to be honest fiji in my eyes is the best lr for colour, ect. i bought a piece last week it was a huge piece @£46.00 yes , the next night i heard clicking in the tank so shone a torch in there after lights out n hey presto got myself a red dwarf lobster about 4 inches he looks great....no probs wiv him yet????

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I would snap it up in a heartbeat in my area... Most LFS have prices ranging anywhere between 9.99 to 11.99 or higher if it is like Marshall Island LR.. I've paid 75 bucks for one chunk b/4.

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
yeah, mine is 7.99 a lb for it, and that isn't even a good quality, it should also shorten you cycle, like said above, i would take it at that price, just don't forget to watch it, you don't want any hitchhikers, like apaitasia, ..my LFS is famous for, grr..

and CL, i paid 123 for a chunk once, lol, but it had this awesome arch, ..i so love that piece..

kjbrat

AC Members
Feb 19, 2007
Sarasota, FL
My LFS has a consistent stock of awesome LR at $3.99 a lb, although for the nicer pieces (from trade shows or displays with lots of coralline) they will charge $4.99. I just bought 45 lb of new rock yesterday for my the beginnings of my new 75g and the owners took off 10%. They rock. Ha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store