Otopharynx lithobates can give me info about breeding them

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<><FunSize><>

AC Members
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
i have 2 Otopharynx lithobates and one is a male an the other is female so i was thinken maybe i should try breed them.
the tanks mates include plecos electric blues(male and female i am also tryen to breed) bronze cats and albino cats
the tank is a 90 gal what would be the optimum temp what do i need for them to breed and what will i need after they have bread(if they do breed)

Alaric

AC Members
Jan 9, 2003
waterford, mi
Visit site
I have a pair of O. lithobates in my 125g and they breed like crazy! They are the only pair I have actually visually witnessed fertilization. It was truely amazing. My pair usually spawns a brood of about 25-30 fry. Once I see the female is holding I wait 21-23 days and remove her to a fry tank. Then if she doesnt spit the fry in a few days I remove them manually. Like I said mine spawn like crazy. normally once I put the female back in the 125g with the male a month or so later she is holding again. My male is about 5-6inches and female about 3inches. The male just looks spectacular! They are not very agressive even during spawning. I keep my tank at about 80degF and do large weekly water changes, other than that I'm not sure what else you can do to get them to spawn.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Sorry to hijack this thread, but where did you guys buy your lithobates? I've been trying to find some forever, but to no avail. And as far as stimulates go, try doing a couple of large water changes, say 50%. That can sometimes trigger a response.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store