Bubble Tip Tentacle Anemone Moving up onto the glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the1x1factor

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Guys.. i dont know if this is normal, i had a tentacle anmeone introduced two weeks back and it was doing ok sitting at a spot for 1 week afterwhich it moved its place onto the glass and moved upwards almost near water level. Last week i introduced another tentacle anemone, which also stood in its place for a week and now i can see it slowing crawling up... i am thinking its going to follow the same path as the previous one. Is this normal or due to lighting problems. Or do they need a large base of live rock to sit on...

I still havent got the full lighting as my tank is eight feet long and requires 2 sets of lighting 4 feet each. But the place where the bubble tip anemones are placed have adequate ligting with a 4feet lighting set @ 12000k. plus for the time being till the new light set arrives i have a blue 2 feet light running for the remaining area.

Last edited:

the1x1factor

AC Members
May 17, 2007
My Tank is roughly 8feet in length, 2.5 feet high and 1.5feet width from the wall. I have a sump for filtration along with a protien skimmer. I have a powerhad 1500 l/hr running for water circulation.

As for lights i still have to confirm this with the supplier. I am currentyl have a 4 feet tube set (36w x 2) 12000k white light, 2 feet (36w) blue light. I know this is verylow.
I have place order for 2 more 2 feet light sets one white and one blue each. The idea was to have the 4 feet + 2feet white set in one row and in front have another row of blue lights ( two 2feet sets ). I think they are all t5 lights SunSun Brand.

With reagrd to the flow i think theres is a live rock blocking the circulation twards the anemone. But still its waving around.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I haven't known any T5 bulbs that are 4' long to be 36w. Regular 4' T5s are typically 28w and 4' T5 HOs are 54w. Even regular 4' T12s are typically 40w, so it seems a bit unclear as to what type of lighting you're working with.

Nonetheless, it seems pretty apparent that it's an insufficient amount of lighting to keep an anemone under. That is the most likely cause of it moving so much and climbing up the glass to the top of the tank. It's simply looking for better lighting conditions.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
PC's are not very good for any of the higher light demanding corals and inverts like your anemone, on that deep of a tank you should have at least T-5's with good reflectors but MH's would be even better and you should have a total of 7500-9000 Gallons per hour of flow if this is a reef if not you can get away with a little less

the1x1factor

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Can you let me know how i should go about with the lighting. It would be nice if you can let me know how many t5's or how many MH i should use. will 2 (100-150w) 10000k MH work?

Also with regard to the water circulation do i need 7500 gallons per hr apart from the water pumped back to the tank from the sump. The water pumped back also causes circulation right.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The anemone knew what was wrong for certain, not enough life and not enough flow. I'd definitely make changes to the set-up ASAP or give the anemone to someone else or the LFSs.

A MH will cover 2' of surface space so on an 8' tank you'd need 4 to cover the entire length. I'd probably go with 250watts although 400 watts would allow you more flexibility with what can be placed on the bottom.

On the flow you want 25x the volume as your minimum gph turnover. I do not count the sump return in my own flow..it is gravy to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store