My 125 Gallon set up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Hi everyone!

This is what I have so far,
This is a 6' 125 gallon glass tank I picked up cheap, I built the stand, and canopy. There is a compact flourescent fixture in the canopy that powers 2 96 watt 8800k Sunpak lamps. The Fluval FX-5 is piped into the canopy with some beverage system hose, and PVC pipe. I'm not finished with the pluimbing yet, but the 2 valves will be used to drain the aquarium, and fill with wather from the RO system in the basement. No buckets for me. The fill hose is 1/2 inch and i am putting a 300 watt inline heater there to preheat the water, then it is "injected" into the output of the Filter. the other valve will run into a drain in the basement. Hopefully changing water will be a simple operation. I made a few mistakes and put too many elbows in the plumbing, and the Fluval's output is less than it should be, I am going to make some changes to increase the flow rate of the filter.
Anyway, I plan to plant this tank with some medum to small filter sand as substrate and some black rock from the local landscape supplier (is this a good idea?) I need to find some chunky Peices of driftwood as a centerpeice for this tank, and then some smaller pieces to place around the back of the tank.

let me know what you think.
Thanks, Brian

Tank Set up.JPG FX-5.JPG

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Okay so, i'm jealous... I love the color of the wood also. Looks good, we need more pictures!!!

The Zigman

Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I didn't realize there was a photo gallery section, probably should have posted this there, sorry about that. Anyway, I am hoping to add some substrate and plants and get this thing filled soon, I'll put up some more pics then.
The wood was supposed to be black to match my desk, but for some reason, I couldn't get the stain to set that dark. Thanks for the comments though.

OscarMan82

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
Bellevue Oh
that will be one nice lookin tank when all is said and done, can't wait for more pics.

Rometiklan

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
That's just a sweet setup. That would be a real joy to set up and maintain. I'm thinking about building a similar wooden canopy for my new 55 gallon. Post pics when you can.

The Zigman

Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I re plumbed the filter and added a 16 watt UV sterilizer. I straightened out some of the curves to incrrease the flow from the filter. I have the fill valve plumbed into the basement. All I have to do now is plumb inthe drain, (I'm using a garden hose.. I will be able to pump water from this tank into another tank with this hose, or drain the tank into the main house drain in the basement. it should be a sweet set up.

Share your thoughts..

UV sterilizer.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store