Here we go < 90g SW build/log/project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EddieJ

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Hello everyone,

I finally decided to take a plunge into the saltwater world. Hope all the saltwater experts here can help me along my journey.

Day One: Starting the setup

90 Gallon tank with pre-drilled overflow
MegaFlow 3 wet/dry/sump
ViaAqua 1800 return pump
Coralife SS125 protein skimmer
Maxijet1200 and Penguin 1140 power heads

Just setting everything up at this time. Still need some tubing to connect the return pump. I am also waiting on my RO unit to come in. After reading over tons and tons of saltwater info I have concluded it is the way to go. I just couldn't do the tap water thing... One quick question on RO, does it reduce/eliminate phosphates? The tap water here has pretty high levels. I will be using sand for the substrate on this setup. Right now this will be a fish only tank to start. I do plan on adding some live rock down the road.

This is our Christmas present this year (OK, it's a little early, but the fish won't hit it till around Christmas I am sure). The wife loves the Clowns so 2 of those will be the first residents.

That's it for now...hopefully the RO unit gets here Friday.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Wow, what a nice setup. Exactly the kind I like. Tall, black stand/hood and solid colored background. Great Christmas Present.

Its a good idea to start now. That way you can add all the live goodies during Christmas. And I actually like the display ornaments you have in there.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Hey there Eddie...A warm Welcome to Aquaria Central..Hope you enjoy the site..

A few observations really first..The blue bioballs in the sump, i would replace with live rock rubble for a couple of reasons like the potential for elevated nitrates, far less to do in your maintenance plan...On the bubble trap next to the return pump, is that long blue thing sponge? If it is, i would be tempted to remove it..Again, another area that has great potenital to produce nitrates if left unchecked..Both are arrowed in the attached copy of your image..

I think your off to a great start with your setup and i am sure it will turn into a superb looking system..Ya gotta love em when there all nice, clean and shiney..lol..

One quick question on RO, does it reduce/eliminate phosphates? The tap water here has pretty high levels.
Yes, an RO unit should produce watre that is all zero..When they dont produce clear water like that, it usually a warning that the filters need replacing..

Hope this helps mate. We have loads of experienced reefers here on AC and will help you the best they can..Look forward to seeing more updates from you as it progresses...

Niko

sumpviewdayone.jpg

EddieJ

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for the info. For the mechanical filter media (which is above the bio balls) any suggestions? It is just some basic mesh/floss/sponge as of now. Should I put another type of media in there for startup?

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Eddie: Welcome to the forum! Like your set up. Is your tank the Oceanic? Looks like their overflow. The blue sponge on the right is part of the overall bubble trap...you do need to take care to clean it properly every couple of weeks or when it gets dirty. Also, your return pump should have come with a sponge and tube for the water intake...use it to reduce the potential for the motor to get foreign matter (like rock or sand) in it to cause an early failure. I second the no "bio balls". Might want to make the investment in Live Rock for the tank as well as rubble for the sump. Your Coralife Skimmer should have come with a bubble trap that you will want to use or mod.

You will probably need to look into a heater before you start the system.

Looks like you are off to a terrific start with your equipment choices.

EddieJ

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Is your tank the Oceanic?
It is an All Glass tank
I second the no "bio balls"
So replace the Bio Balls with LRR in that Air chamber? Why would LRR perform better in this enviroment since it is not submerged? I have heard this from a few sources and was wondering how it would lower nitrate production.
Your Coralife Skimmer should have come with a bubble trap that you will want to use or mod.
I plan on making a mod on that with some PVC and sponge. The diffuser box is just too bulky and does not really work well in the sump area.
You will probably need to look into a heater before you start the system.
I have a heater located in the sump, it is hidden from view from the center post on the stand.

Thanks for the input. I do plan on adding some live rock to the dead rock that is in there now. That is on the project plan down the road.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Welcome....looking forward to your build thread. I did the PVC mod for the return on my CSS and it's great. I also did a mod on my MJ1200's that really increases the flow. I am a little confused too over the LRR in the trickle part of my filter....I have it submerged in the bottom of my wet/dry after my bio-balls which I am planning on chucking at some point, but they haven't given me any trouble yet (still a fairly new tank).
Robbie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store