72 gallon bow too small for a full size common pleco?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ScottyNorq

AC Members
Jul 19, 2007
My friends dad wants to get rid of his pleco. its too big for his 55 gallon. its like 14 inches. is 72 gallons too small?

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
He could fit in there, but personally, if it was my fish, i'd keep him in a minimum of 90 gallons. They get huge and that one could still grow a little bit more. Some sites say 55g minimum, others say 70g, and others also say 80g. Maybe someone else can chime in here with some better info.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I would imagine how a pleco at 18 inches and above would really fit in that tank.:) My lfs has a 100 gallons tank and the pleco seems to have a hard time moving around even at 14 inches.

cichlidsrextrem

MOST METAL FISHKEEPER
Jul 26, 2007
VA
BS ppl my uncle have a commom pleco full grown in a ru ready a 30 gallon tank its huge but its been alive for ever and he has other catfish wich most ppl would say 55 gal min for its crazy how some ppl can just pull it off

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
How long does it take for a common pleco to get that big?
Mine's about 3 years old and he's only about 5 inches.. then again he's in a 10 gal tank too. wiat till I drop him into the new 125, he'll think he's in the ocean!! HA!! Will he grow bigger once he's in the big tank? Or is he done growin?

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
Probably as a temporary home only (its a bit better than the 55)... some of these things go over 2 ft in length so you would have to find it a bigger home. Good luck :)

Hey Lupin have you seen the ones in Marikina River... they look like small logs :grinyes:

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
How long does it take for a common pleco to get that big?
Mine's about 3 years old and he's only about 5 inches.. then again he's in a 10 gal tank too. wiat till I drop him into the new 125, he'll think he's in the ocean!! HA!! Will he grow bigger once he's in the big tank? Or is he done growin?
There's a chance that he's stunted his growth already. But please do move him to the 125 gal. Who knows maybe he'll grow some more. Good luck :)

angelianmickie

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
SW, Montana
I have an 18 inch pleco that i need to get rid of, he is in a 80ish gallon tank (at work) and imo he is way to big and needs to have a better home. any suggestions, the lfs can't take him and no luck with an add in the paper. I feel bad for the thing because we are about to take the tank down completely and he is the only one im having trouble finding a home for

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
I have an 18 inch pleco that i need to get rid of, he is in a 80ish gallon tank (at work) and imo he is way to big and needs to have a better home. any suggestions, the lfs can't take him and no luck with an add in the paper. I feel bad for the thing because we are about to take the tank down completely and he is the only one im having trouble finding a home for
This should be posted in the Advertised section...you'll have way better luck there then here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store