Yellow tang will not eat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

QuagmireMan

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
I don't know why but my yellow tang will not eat anything. I have tons of algae in my tank, my nitrates and nitrites are 0, he has plenty of room to swim, but for some reason he won't eat anything. I try to put romain lettuce on a clip in there and he still won't touch it. It doesn't look like he ahs any disease but he is getting very thin.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Qman

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
How long have you had the tang? Was it eating before you got it (did you see it eating)? What was it eating if so? Are you wilting the lettuce or putting it in crisp?

I personally prefer marine greens and would suggest putting seaweed on the clip instead. Sheets of nori can be found at the LFS or better yet the supermarket. Just get 100% seaweed with no flavor addiitives.

You can also try some Ocean Nutrition II flakes, if it doesn't eat those try soaking them in garlic.

QuagmireMan

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
thanks. The lettuce is only slightly crisp. I have yet to see it eat since I got it earlier this week.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Agreed.. I tried the lettuce thing just to see but mine shredded the sally's seaweed but I had to have it set about in the middle of the tank.. If it was to low she got upset and if it was to high she wouldn't touch it (or see it)..

Also got really aggressive during the carnivore mix feeding at night even though there was still seaweed left.. She'd go after everything float, on the bottom.. Was comical at first until she quit letting others eat.

QuagmireMan

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
The yellow tang i had would never touch lettuce, only nori and spent the time eating my home made meaty food together with a little grazing on the rocks..

what types of home made foods?

My salinity was a little high aswell, could this cause that fish to be unhappy?

I think I will pick up some nori tonight and see what happens.

QuagmireMan

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
Out of the blue he started eating algae!! Yeah! He seems to be a little picky right now though. but this is a very good start!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store