1 Discus???????????????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hirschy75

AC Members
Nov 14, 2006
Hi everyone. i was thinking of redoing my 50 and i was going to have some corys, rummynoses, rams, and could i add a discus after and only 1

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
They are schooling and usually do much better in a group. The other fish listed are great with discus and a 50 if properly cared for is big enough for a few. You could get a group of 6, let them pair off, keep the pair and sell the others. One might settle in by itself, but they do tend to do better in groups.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
One discus would be a very unhappy camper. They are very social fish and need to be kept in a group. Especially when young, you need to spread the aggression out amongst several fish so that one fish doesn't get overly stressed out and sick. You could easily have 5 young discus in that tank. Minimum number would be 4, 5 would be better. Rams are territorial once they pair up. They will try very hard to keep the discus away from their spawning areas, regardless of how big of a size difference there is. I've kept them together before and just decided I didn't want that kind of territorialism (is that a word?:eek:) going on in the tank with the discus so I didn't replace the rams after they died. Rummies, cories, bristlenose, many types of tetras...all are good tankmates with discus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store