DIY Kalkwasser Drip

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
Hey, I want to take a 1 gallon jug and turn it into a kalkwasser drip.

Here is my questions.

I'm going to drill 1 1/4" holes in the cap of the jug. I'll put Rigid tubing in one hole, and attach a piece of flexible tubing to that, and hang it over the side of the jug.

I will drill another 1/4" hole to let air in.

My question is, on the air hole, do I need to have rigid tubing go down into the water to create a siphon or do i just need the air hole?

And will I have to suck on the drip line to start the siphon or will it auto start when the drip line is hanging below the water line?

Thanks,
guy

Last edited:

New Reefer

AC Members
on the air hole, do I need to have rigid tubing go down into the water to create a siphon or do i just need the air hole?
No, you just need the air hole - this will prevent a vacuum forming inside the container as the water drips out. In fact, you don't even need a tube - a simple pin-prick above the water level will work just as well... The tube is just a neater option :)

And will I have to suck on the drip line to start the siphon or will it auto start when the drip line is hanging below the water line?
Well, if the container is going to stand upright, and you are placing the tubing through the lid, it stands to reason that you will have to either suck on the exit tube, or blow into the vent tube to create a siphon - water does not like to flow uphill :D Of course, if you place the container on it's side (with the vent hole/tubing on the highest point and the exit tubing on the lowest point, it would just flow out by gravity.

HTH
Hennie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store