Anenome comes and goes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

QuagmireMan

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
I have an anenome thats base is inside some live rock under a 175w MH and when i turn the MH on he comes out of the rock bt after about 6 hours he goes back inside the rock everyday is this normal? Am I giving it too much light? He eats very well too, shrimp/super soft krill pellets

FishPassion

AC Members
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa Canada
What kind of anemone do you have and what type of flow?

QuagmireMan

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
The store said it was a condylacti. I have one power head, 204 canister and very large pump from my sump. Not sure total flow numbers.

FishPassion

AC Members
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa Canada
I am guessing then that this is a new aquisition to your tank, if so give it time to settle and find its "spot". Most anenomes if purchased from an lfs have undergone a lot of stress ex: caught in the ocean bagged boxed then shipped most likely trans shipped meaning repackaged half way here back on the plane, then perhaps stopping at a wholesaler then to your lfs. This timeframe ay be a cpl of weeks and it has undergone major stress from handling several changes in tanks and water and finally ends up inyour tank at home. Give it time to adjust ex: I purchased a rbta a few weeks ago which is now splitting due to the "stress" it has gone through and is hiding under rocks near the bottom of the tank only peeking out very little through out the day. I have two other btas in the tank that are very happy and hang out at the top of the tank for several yrs now. Long story short if its new to your tank give it time offer it food and keep an eye on it and if it has proper lighting the flow that it wants etc it will come out more and more. balance in the sw tank.....

rdfriend

AC Members
Sep 9, 2007
Seminole, Fl.
I have a condylactis, aka haitian pink tip. It actually has purplish tips and the foot is orange. Yours looks like mine as far as the tentacles but I can't tell about the tips from the pic. I'd post a pic of mine but not really sure how to do it.:huh:

Last edited:

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
One of my LFS carry a similiar type of condalactis. they are the purple tipped. Yours looks very similiar in appearance but the color of the tips looks brownish. What color do they look under normal light to you? It could be an off species. Anemones can withdraw at night with the light goes away or it may be simply adjusting to the lighting/water. How long have you had it?

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
i wouldn't be too concerned, nems are strange creatures :) it sure is interesting looking tho without the purple tips... i'd bet once it gets used to things (lighting mostly) it will stay out... it looks like it's got a great place in the rock for it's foot so it should be happy where it's at and that's most important. i wish mine would have it's foot in a hole...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store