Great Deals

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kasey06

AC Members
Nov 1, 2007
There are some really great deals on equipment right now thanks to the season. I really want to get a marine tank up and going and am thinking about getting it set up this coming january. It'll give me some time to really do my research and make sure I get the right stuff, etc. I won't be putting fish in it for some time until it is truly ready and cycled. I know most people recommend 55 being a decent starting size for a new aquarium. Space really doesn't allow a tank that size. I am thinking about a 25 gallon, fish only. Would these fish do OK in a tank this size?
*Clown
*Bicolor Blenny
*Royal Gamma Basslet
Obviously space is limited. Would these 3 do OK together in a tank this size? Any other suggestions? Better to know no before I start buying equipment. I'd like to have 3-4 fish total. I am very new to this and not quite ready to get going totally but I want to start buying some equipment for when I am ready to go. Any other suggestions on fish/size?? Thanks.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I've seen one each of those three fish together in a 29g without a problem. Whether or not they'll work well in a 25g will depend on the tank's dimensions (I'm not familiar with them for a 25g), but I don't see much of a problem with those three together in a tank of that general size.

Honestly, I would not recommend the typically 55g tank as a good size for a FOWLR or reef tank. The front to back width is so narrow, it can make stacking live rock a real pain. We have a 55g fw tank with rock stacked in it for African cichlids, and I've even found that to be less than desirable. I couldn't imagine trying to stack bulkier live rock in that tank. But, I guess a lot of that is personal preference.

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
I have a traditional 55 for my FOWLR, and i actually love it! I pretty much filled it with LR, and stuck with smaller indo pacific fish. I love the look, and have alot of swimming crannies, and nooks, ..fsn77 is right though, it was a pita to get the rock in, and, it has limited my stocking options, however, ..Now that mine is done, its my favorite tank..

Kasey06

AC Members
Nov 1, 2007
Thanks. I think I am going to stick with that size 25-29 gallon range. Decent size but not too too big. Now here is another question. I notice a lot of people stocking lists and questions on them involve a lot of other species such as snails/crabs/invertebrates, etc. What is the true purpose of these and what would be recommended with these fish and with this size tank? Once again, I will not be purchasing any live creatures yet I am just educated myself. Thanks.

tamableanimal

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Caro, Michigan
Those 3 should get along well in a 25 gallon. Just do your research on the clown and stay with the smaller ones. Example is that maroon clowns get up to 5-6 inches long and highly aggressive when they get older.
Rich

kjbrat

AC Members
Feb 19, 2007
Sarasota, FL
The point of all those invertebrates people speak of, aka your "cleanup crew" is to do just that...rid your tank of excess detritus, sift your sand, eat algae off of your rocks and glass....pretty much your tank janitors. It is imperative you have these guys...they help out immensely! Any hermit crabs and snails should be fine with your fish...do your research before selecting crabs and/or shrimp though, as some of these guys can have an opportunistic feeder's desire to munch on an unwary clown or other small fish...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store