Going 4-6 wks without fish=no ich. Can I leave a fish not succeptible to ich in tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jhoeger

AC Members
Nov 29, 2007
Northern Suburb of Atlanta
It's my first post to this site, so please "play nice". For those in the "know" this may be a stupid question, but it's an important one to me.
I have a 100 gal reef tank (set up 12 yrs), went "brain dead", and put a powder brown tang into it without putting it into my quarantine tank first (stupidity has no age limit). He has been eating like a pig since day one, but developed ich after about a week in the tank (typical symptoms, at first a few spots, then none for a week, then more..), and I know that if I don't properly treat it, he will die an unnecessary death (nobody should take a healthy fish out of the ocean, and let it die a slow death because of neglect). It's a mistake I will not duplicate, I care too much about these beautiful creatures.
To bring my powder brown back to health, I'm going to treat it in my smaller hospital tank, with hyposalinity instead of copper. Question 1: What salinity is low enough to kill the ich, and high enough to lessen the strain on the fish?

I know that the only way to rid my 100 gal tank of ich is to remove all hosts, so the "cycle of life" will be broken. I currently have 2 clown fish, and a coral beauty in the tank, which are not succeptible to ich (or at least I've never had any problem, or have heard otherwise).
Question 2: Can I leave fish that are not succeptible to ich in the tank, and just remove the tang (which is a definate host)? If my thinking is correct, the fish that don't get ich will not be continuing the life cycle of the ich, because these fish do not act as hosts.
If I'm wrong about the other fish not being "suitable ich hosts", (because I suffer from "stinkin thinkin"), I've wasted my time.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate you taking the time to read this long post. Don't "pound on me" too much, I know I acted like a novice, and should have know better. I had a regal tang that lived in my tank for 9 years, so I'm not totally without a "clue", just "partially".

Jim H.

Scribble68

AC Members
May 31, 2006
NJ
No fish at all. Any fish is a host for ick, just because you dont see visible spots on the fish doesn't matter. When they say a fish is more succeptible just means that they are more likely to be infected with visible cysts. These are fish that are more sensitive and get stressed easier which lowers their immune system. All fish can harbor ich and keep the life cycle alive. I dont believe there is any fish immune to ick or that wont be used as a host.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
The only fish I've heard that really don't host ich are dragonettes. They have a weird slime coating which the parasite apparently doesn't like.

My lfs specializes in ich encrusted coral beauties...and they don't even charge extra for it.

Fallow for 8 weeks is my suggestion...even though that might be a bit overkill, it will ensure the parasite is gone.

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Agreed, no fish is really immune, although I too have read articles like Damon suggested, that the Dragonettes are as close to immune as one can get.

8 weeks is probably a little too cautious in my opinion, the life cycle is supposedly 30 days, but that is also dependant on water temperature. Also, if you can get your hands on a UV sterilizer it can greatly reduce the time period. In another post I went through my treament script that I used personally with two tangs and it worked for me. I left my tank empty (with the exception of one Chromis that I couldn't catch) for 3 weeks. There is no one way to go about it. You have to know your fish. You said that the Powder Brown is eating well, which means that he is probably not that stressed, all things considered, and that is good. Whatever treatment method you choose, you should use Garlic to suppliment your food, that helps their immune system.

Here is a pretty good link that talks about hyposalinity.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/hyposalinity/a/aahyposalinity.htm

Here is the link to another ich thread that was just posted here at AC where I posted what I said above. You should get other peoples methods as well and choose the one you think you are most comfortable with. As I said, this one worked well for me.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134392

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store