Ok, I'm really liking these SW tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
I need to know what would be the very first begining thing to look into for a 55g SW tank? I will in no way be ready to even think about starting the tank for at least 2 more months really. Now I know 55 isn't all impressive but that is what I would be able to work with.

Remember I know absolutely NOTHING about SW, and yes I will be reading the stickies about cycling and everything, just want some thoughts on where to begin.

BTW, yeah..Thanks for this CLOWN your darn blog made me want one now more than ever and I'm not going to be happy until I can set one up, I now have a new obsession thanks to you!!!! Just no I hold you personally responsible for this!!

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
Before you buy anything figure out what you are going to want in the tank like a year from now, FO, FOWLR, Reef and would you want it to be a Softie, LPS, SPS or mixed reef and do you want Anemones and clams after you try to figure that out then you can start looking into lighting, skimmers, flow and filtration. That way you wont be buying things twice.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
OMG, I haven't even started and I'm confused! I think it's reef. You really have to take it slow with me, I truly know nothing at all. I know I like the mushrooms, and corals, have no idea what Softie, LPS, SPS are?

Right now I was just looking at rock *sigh* boring I know, but I'm trying to figure out this live sand, live rock, cured, uncured, coral rubble meanings and how much of what and such. I think I am looking at about 110lbs of rock/sand for the tank if I have a 55 right?

Do I need to know the softie, LPS, SPS stuff for that?

I'm sure this all sounds dumb to you but as I said, I've been looking at Clowns tanks in his blog, nikos, and a couple others and I just fell in love and know I want one, have no idea the terms meanings, I mean when Clown wrote in his blog that his fish ate the tail of his feather duster, I was trying to figure out how in the **** a fish got to a feather duster (that u dust w), so see I really am serious when I say I know nothing!

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Oh, I'm trying. I started in the saltwater cycle sticky. That is where I heard the cured, uncured, coral rubble and such. I've heard of the live sand and rock, I personally like a sand bottom tank (but that is FW). It is looking like a sand/rock mix is what I'll need here...I think.

Now a new question has arose though with the post from archer, I guess I need to look into and find out what FO, & FOWLR means before I go further on my quest to figure out this new SW world.

Good thing I got a couple months before I can start it huh!

K-Gannon

I'm new at this
Nov 3, 2007
Kamloops, BC, Canada
I don't know if this is what you mean... but FO is fish only and FOWLR is Fish only with live rock... if that's what you meant of course! Just so that you know what kind of lighting and other stuff that you need otherwise the things you buy that aren't good enough will all have to be replaced and it will get even more expensive! Do if you're looking to get corals and whatnot just go with the best lights you can now instead of upgrading again a year from now!
You're on the right track though just keep reading!

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Well, I've made my first "choice" for the tank...I don't want a FO (HA learned what that meant and I don't want it), Reef sounds a little tricky for me to start with so I guess it will be a FOWLR, someday to be a reef maybe. First official decision though is not FO.

Now on to the Softie, LPS, SPS or mixed reef part and finding out what it is.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Ah, but I do want coral, mushrooms and a featherduster...now that I know what it is. So maybe not a FOWLR?? Or would that still count? Hmmm just thinking outloud here.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
I don't know if this is what you mean... but FO is fish only and FOWLR is Fish only with live rock... if that's what you meant of course! Just so that you know what kind of lighting and other stuff that you need otherwise the things you buy that aren't good enough will all have to be replaced and it will get even more expensive! Do if you're looking to get corals and whatnot just go with the best lights you can now instead of upgrading again a year from now!
You're on the right track though just keep reading!
Thank you, yes that is what I was meaning:)

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Wow, can I have all the corals?? First I thought I liked the softies, then I looked at the LPS and the SPS I don't know I like them all!!!

Also another site I looked at said I would need around 85lbs of sand/rock. What sounds more correct 110 or 85?

You know I just want it all:grinyes:

So as of right now I no I do not want a FO, learned what that meant, learned what FOWLR is, and reef...I've learned what a softie is, and the LPS and SPS. Hmm, pretty good for me.

I think what I will be going for is a mixed reef, don't think I'm ready for a all out reef, and I like the fishies so a mixed reef I believe is my goal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store