crab vs. moray eel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mrbranden

AC Members
Mar 20, 2003
Massachusetts
Visit site
Hi.

I have a spotted hermit crab that is about 3-4 inches long. I also have a young snowflake moray eel (6ins inches long, maybe a bit more). They're living in a 125 gallon fish-mostly tank.
Lately, Arnold (the crab) has been on a rampage. He's killed four snails and two smaller crabs. This doesn't as a surprise to me though, unfortunately.
My conern is Kuna (the eel). He minds his own business and all, but lately I've seen Arnold hovering by his cave. I am finding it less and less of a coincidence that the crab just happens to lounge out by whichever cave the eel happens to be in.
Then tonight I saw the crab poking his claw around the entrance.. and then he started digging under the rock as if to get to Kuna. Then the eel poked his head out for a second, rolled his eyes and yawned, and slipped out the other end of the rock.
5 minutes later I see the crab in front of the eels new-found resting spot.
That being said... is my eel in any danger from the crab? The eel is still small but he's certainly longer than the crab. I've heard that eels are notorious for making meals out of crabs, but is the opposite ever true? Is it a situation where one good shot from the crab will incapacitate the eel? Should I separate these two?
I'd rather lose the crab to the eel than the other way around. I know that sounds mean but I am just very attached to my eel!
Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

---Branden

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
I've definately heard of (and witnessed) eels taking out hermit crabs, but I haven't ever seen it the other way around. With a large hermit, it is certainly a possibility, but I would think that a 6 inch morey could fend for itself easily.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
A large hermit crab could certainly take an unwary eel. They are nasty buggers, and an eel typically won't threaten an invert it can't kill--they know they are vulnerable. I have not seen a hermit get an eel, but I have seen the damage one inflicted on a small trigger--not pretty. The trigger recovered, but is scarred and missing a healthy chunk of flesh.

I'd say the crab is making an effort to catch the eel off guard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store