AAAAAAH ICH!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
For a few days now, I have been keeping my lightss of, so some unwanted cyano could die out(Since I started this I have gotten my phosphates to 0). I get up this morning, I look in the tank, and my clownfish is near the bottom covered with ich. I check on the dwarf angel and he seems to have a few spots. I know hardly anything about it. I am planning to turn my tank reef plus i hear angels are no so good with it, so I would like to not use copper. Unless you can remove copper with carbon. What do I do? Where do I start? Could the lights have caused this?

I should probably mention that I have no qt tank, and I'm not it a position economically, to set

Last edited:

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
Depending on the size of the angel, it should cost around $20. a 10 gallon glass tank from walmart is like $9, a small heater, perhaps a small powerhead, thermometer is around $20. Even for a larger QT tank, it doesn't increase the price by much. If you consider that if the fish die from the ich, you would have to repurchase them which could defiinitely cost a lot more than even the most advanced tools for a QT tank.

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
The angel is about 4 inches and the clown is about 2 and a half. I don't think a tank would cost to much, and neither would powerheads, but I think the real money killer is the mechanical filtration.
The 48$ grand total that I have spent on the fish, would not exactly equal a 200$ skimmer.

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
Would 10gallons be enough for 6.5 inches of fish? How often would I have to change the water? I've heard that you should add amonia removers just in case. Which ones should I use?

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
Something realy wierd just happened, I checked my fish again, and found that they were almost completely clean of dots. The angel was spotless. The clown had a mere one. It seems almost to good to be true. The clown seems to be behaving more regularly than a just 5 hours ago. Is this possible for the parisites, to somehow go into a dormancy. Should I try to treat the fish anyway?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It isn't weird at all, the ich parasite has a cycle that includes a stage where the parasite drops off. They'll return and there will be more I'm afraid. I would certainly treat all the fish. I prefer to use hypo (sometimes copper) and to do so in a bare bones QT tank (I spent $30 on a used 20g setup and tossed what I didn't want) and allow the display to fallow for 6-8 weeks.

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
Will 20 gallons, a heater, a pump, airstones and a spongefilter do?
Or is 10 gallons enough for the bioload?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store