Clown: Any clues what it could be?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Thursday night I noticed Wilma had some odd coloration and marks on her. Nothing odd in her behavior, well not anything more than odd than usual. :perv:

Anyhow, I decided to move her to the QT tank and to send Fred with her. Not because I'm convinced it is a parasite, but I'm concerned with their nutrition. The man that had them before was feeding them frozen Emerald Green and nori. I feed the tank both marine vegetation and meaty foods and although I had gotten Fred to eat meaty food back when I first got them I'm not convinced that Wilma is getting nearly enough. My thoughts were to dose meaty foods with garlic extreme and get them on a primarily meaty diet. Fred has taken to it like a champ. Wilma, not so much. I have tried most marine foods..except for Ocean Nutrition Forumla I flakes. I think I'll try that next with her.

So anyhow, back to ID'ing the markings. These 2 fish are about impossible to photograph. Kudos to all of you that get great shots of your clownfish. I'm attaching 2 photos, the 2nd has marks showing where to look in the first photo. Even so you might need this description...there are light striations, almost stripes in the orange area behind her first stripe. Up near the dorsal fin. Then in the 2nd white stripe there is a horizontal raised line. It almost looks like a splinter under the skin. Strange I know.

I'm wondering if this is an injury she got in the tank? Nutritional issues? Parasite like flukes that I need to do a dip for? Your thoughts are welcome...(oh and Niko, she doesn't have aliens)

and because I promised someone I'd post a photo of my QT:

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Really am struggling to make much out on the fish to be honest..i can just about see the slight colour difference of where the marks are, but not actually what they are..

Niko

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
Hey grins how old are they and how big are they. I would lean towards diet but that is just a guess, can you hatch out some brine or do you have a LFS around you that has freshly hatched brine if so thats what I would try and I might also try some freshly crushed garlic about 5-10 minutes before you feed them

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Hmm you know I'm not certain of their age. I'm going to guess 2 years? She is about twice the size of him. I am soaking their food in garlic extreme now and he likes it but she just spits it out and then ignores the rest. However put a flake of Formula II in there and you'd think she was a tang.

There is a store with freshly hatched brine here but I'm not a fan of their tanks and don't trust their water. I have so many pregnant shrimp in my display I was hoping they'd soon release the babies and let the fish feast on them. One of the peppermints looks like it is going to explode it is carrying so many.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
I feed my clowns Formula 1 flakes 99% of the time and Formula 2 every now and again. No frozen foods, garlic, etc, and they're perfectly healthy lil guys.

They do, occasionally though, get weird coloration things going on. Black spots and the like. I've always assumed it's because of their interaction with the BTA.

What are yours hosting these days? I mean, before you put them in QT?

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I only suggested fresh garlic because it is thought to have some medicinal value and to trigger a feeding responce for finicky eaters.

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I feed my clowns Formula 1 flakes 99% of the time and Formula 2 every now and again. No frozen foods, garlic, etc, and they're perfectly healthy lil guys.

They do, occasionally though, get weird coloration things going on. Black spots and the like. I've always assumed it's because of their interaction with the BTA.

What are yours hosting these days? I mean, before you put them in QT?
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll try the Forumla I flakes. I'm hoping they'll switch to them so I don't have to worry about Wilma ignoring the meaty fare to dine with the tang instead.

Mine have black pigment spots as well. They don't have a host in the display. They have a few spots they like to hover in but nothing I'd claim as a host. At night they sleep up near the surface of the tank on their sides.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I had found a couple of sites, cant remember where they are now but for humans it has been found that the medicinal value is lost very quickly after the garlic is processed and that fresly minced or crushed garlic has better medicinal values. The garlic we use for aquarium use is mainly for producing a feeding responce from what I have been able to find and that is very good because a fish that is eating good tends to stay healthy. That was why I suggested using fresh garlic and just put a small amount in your tank of filter prior to feeding. Our club made our own food and the first batch I made had TOOOOOO much garlic and the fish wouldnt even touch it but when we reduced the amount in the food they started eating it very good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store