Aqua-Tech 30-60 Bio-Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Radar

Thought is free.
May 26, 2007
Kentucky
I have a Aqua-Tech 30-60 HOB filter. The bio-filter which said you never replace has become worn and falling apart from getting rinsed out so much and I can not find that kind of material to replace it. So does anyone have any ideas what it is or would you just replace it with something else? I thought about just putting some bio-glass in a media bag and slideing it down in front of the filter cartridge.Do you think that would work?

TwanDizzle

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
a long time ago (last year sometime), i read somewhere that you can actually buy a BIO-wheel and fit it into the aqua-tech, and it would be exactly the same as a penguin filter... i think aqua-tech is actually like a knock-off version of penguin..... Anyway, back to my first statement... i don't know if its true, but its something worth looking into... how could you replace that filter though, without losing all that bacteria? or is that what you call a "necessary evil"? as in, as bad as you hate to get rid of it, the only chance you have of keeping your fish alive is to replace it....

Radar

Thought is free.
May 26, 2007
Kentucky
a long time ago (last year sometime), i read somewhere that you can actually buy a BIO-wheel and fit it into the aqua-tech, and it would be exactly the same as a penguin filter... i think aqua-tech is actually like a knock-off version of penguin..... Anyway, back to my first statement... i don't know if its true, but its something worth looking into... how could you replace that filter though, without losing all that bacteria? or is that what you call a "necessary evil"? as in, as bad as you hate to get rid of it, the only chance you have of keeping your fish alive is to replace it....
I also have a Magnum 350 running on that tank so I am not to worried about changeing at least one side of it out at a time.
I did find out it is made of what they call poly strand,or at least that is what it looks like.
I found out aqua-tech is made by Regent and I found the customer service # a little bit ago so I will call them tomorrow.

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I stuff a powerhead with polyester. I also use it in a spare tray in my XP3 cannister filter. I get it from the craft section in WalMart. A big bag costs very little. The strands generally don't even get loose, but you could place some sort of mesh bag around it if you're worried.

Elbrin

AC Members
Nov 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Aqua Tech is manufactured by Regent which is Marineland or vice versa. I have seen Aqua Tech filters in Wally World. I am not sure if you checked there yet. Some Aqua Tech filters and Penguin filters are exactly the same. I know the Penguin 100 has the same filter size and shape as one of the Aqua Techs. The size escapes me right now. Look closely at your current filter and compare it to a Penguin or Emperor filter. There might be a good chance there is a match.

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
I am running an Aqua-Tech 30-60 on my 55g tank .... Like mentioned before it is made by Marineland and uses their filter media... The filter media sold for them at Walmart are the same as Marineland's but with different labeling.

As for the bio fiber part of it I have only slightly rinsed mine off once in the last 7 months because it looked to be getting full of gunk. I didnt rub on it I just dipped it in tank water from my water change a few times to get the big gunky stuff off. I wouldnt over clean them to a point that they start falling apart since this is where most of the good bacteria in the filter lives. That is why it says not to replace it and just leave it in there for bacteria to grow on.

oscarluver1229

Registered Member
Jul 16, 2009
fulton,NY
just throw in some bio-balls and see how things work out. try to cut up a sponge or maybe even try a brill or scotch-brite pad. maybe some steel wool. try different stuff and tell us how it works out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store