filter question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
Alright, here is the scenario... Bought a 20H "kit", replaced the filter that came with it (Tetra knock off) after it just wouldn't filter the water without clogging up. So I got a Rena Smart Filter (love this thing) and seemed to do better than the previous "el cheapo" filter, well until a couple of weeks ago. Water started scumming up pretty bad, do a water change and still not help. Tank was pretty cloudy, tried changing the floss in the filter (I made my own media box) and that still didn't help.

Well right now everything in my sig is in a temporary ten gallon tank while I build a new stand and get ready to change everything over to a 20 gallon long. The Rena filter has made the water almost pristine in the 10 gallon in less than a day. Which leads me to the question, Should I run two filters or one big one?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
It can't hurt. I run two filters on my 36g and couldn't be happier with it. It also makes it easy to seed new filters for new tanks.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
It's personal preference but most would say go with two.

Aislinn

AC Members
Apr 8, 2007
Minnesota
The only tanks I have a single filter on are QT tanks. Everything else has at least two. Backups are always a good idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store