Recommendations for Betta Companion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GeoPappas

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Suburbs of Raleigh, NC
I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a male Betta.

The Betta seems to like his tank, but I would like to get him a companion. Can anyone suggest a good tank-mate for a Betta in a 2.5 gallon tank.

The tank has the following:

- One plant that the Betta likes to sleep in. I would like to get some more plants in the future.
- A small 7 Watt heater in the tank that keeps the temp between 77 and 84.
- There is no filtration on the tank.

What do you think?

Aislinn

AC Members
Apr 8, 2007
Minnesota
In such a small tank, I don't think you should add anything, especially with no filtration and such a huge temperature range. It would be a disaster in the making. If you would really like tankmates for your betta, you'll have to upgrade him to at least 5 gallons (10 would be better) with proper filtration and a steady temp. Even just as things are now, such wild swings in temp aren't good for him. Constant stress like that shortens their lifespan considerably.

GeoPappas

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Suburbs of Raleigh, NC
Thanks for your response, but I don't agree with your assessment.

In the wild, fish experience temperature fluctuations throughout the day. In the day, the temperature will rise, and in the evening, the temps will fall. The same happens in this tank. The temps fall in the evening, and then rise in the day. So I don't think that this is causing him any undue stress. Also, the temperature doesn't reach 77 every night, nor does it reach 84 every day. It all depends on the ambient temperature outside (in the room). I just reported the total temperature range that I have seen in the tank over time.

As far as the lack of a filter:

- I barely have to change the water at all. I test the water weekly (with an API test kit), and I don't see any ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates at all for weeks.

- Bettas can breath water directly from the surface air and don't need as much oxygen in the water.

- Bettas don't like strong currents.

So, since the water is clean already and there is no need for more oxygen in the water, I didn't think that a filter was needed.

And if you ask me, a 10 gallon tank for one fish would be overkill (but then again so is a 3000 sq ft house).

Aislinn

AC Members
Apr 8, 2007
Minnesota
I apologise for misconstruing your meaning regarding temperature. Your statement merely said the heater keeps the tank temp between 77 and 84, and I incorrectly understood that this was an average temperature fluctuation, and not the temp range over a number of seasons. Again, I apologise.

I am aware of the betta's labyrinth organ and its function, but as far as I know only anabantids share this feature. Since it's not recommended to mix anabantids for the obvious reasons, I thought it would be a good idea to add filtration before you add tankmates, as other fish would need to take their oxygen from the water column.

While bettas are not fond of strong currents, neither do they require perfectly stagnant water. A nano filter or a sponge filter would be quite safe, as I'm sure the many other people who use them in betta tanks can attest.

I wasn't suggesting you had to upgrade to 10g just for the single betta. While I'm sure he would love the room and might be more active because of it, it's not strictly necessary. I was merely suggesting that upgrading to a larger tank would be a good idea before you added tankmates.

As your original posting was titled "Recommendations for Betta Companion," I offered my opinion on your present tank setup as regards to more fish in addition to your current betta. If such a response was not your intention in asking for recommendations for betta companions, I sincerely apologise for having unintentionally offended you.

ansbfish

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
About the only thing I can think of would be neons, but even then I don't know ... 2.5g is a tiny area to be trying to mix fish with a Betta.

I tried to mix and match some fish with my Betta in a 10 gallon and it was largely unsuccessful. It also has a lot to do with the particular fishes temperament.

Maybe some shrimp or something?

Elbrin

AC Members
Nov 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
An oto and a cory could work as a "clean-up crew", but then you will want some filtration. A small DIY (do it yourself) low powered sponge filter in the corner in the corner should do the trick.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
If I wasn't getting readings of ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates, I would still change my betta's water. The oxygen is slowly depleting, and there's probably not much left. You misinterprate their use of the labyrinth orgen. It is used in situations where there is very little oxygen left. Think of it as a diver's scuba tank. A normal diver (fish) has plenty of oxygen for their "dive" (When they get more oxygen). Think of a labyrinth fish as a fish that sometimes gets stuck, and has an extra tank of oxygen to help them out of that place. They still need oxygen, they just have a bit more to work with in the dry season. They can't survive without oxygen in the water for long.

About the only thing I can think of would be neons, but even then I don't know ... 2.5g is a tiny area to be trying to mix fish with a Betta.

I tried to mix and match some fish with my Betta in a 10 gallon and it was largely unsuccessful. It also has a lot to do with the particular fishes temperament.

Maybe some shrimp or something?
No neons, and I wouldn't try shrimp in an unfiltered tank that size anyway. I wouldn't put anything with a betta in a tank that size anyway, unless it was filtered, heated, and got regular water changes. Then I would add an amano or cherry, maybe 2.

An oto and a cory could work as a "clean-up crew", but then you will want some filtration. A small DIY (do it yourself) low powered sponge filter in the corner in the corner should do the trick.
No way could this work. Otos need a lot more algae for that, and a general rule for them is 10g per oto in a normal tank. As for a cory, the smallest tank a cory can fit in is a 10g, and that's for dwarf and panda cories. They also need groups of 4. There is no way either of those fish could go in that tank no matter the conditions.

Carla G

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
NSW Australia
GeoPappas

I noticed in your signature line that you also have a 40 gallon tank with only a few danios and guppies. Why don't you put your betta in there. There are no fin nippers in that lot. Betta's are fine with almost any non-aggressive fish in my experience.

I think the 2 1/2 gallon tank is very small to keep anything in. It would be good for an isolation tank though, or for fry if any of your fish make you a proud grandparent. But you'd need a filter.

I kept a betta in a community tank with quite a lot of other fish. Everyone got along fine. The only trouble we ever had was putting in some barbs. Tiger barbs I think but I'm not sure. They terrorized the place, and were returned to the fish store in short order.

I even got him (the betta) some female companions at one point. Keep in mind if you do this you need several. I'd say 6 in a big planted tank, and they'd all get some peace.

Carla

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
your best bet, unless you wanted to upgrade to a larger tank, is to add shrimp or a snail? Neons would need to be in a group of 6+, and 2.5 gallons is way to small. Otos would need a lot of algae and some of them won't eat the wafers. As for corys, you'll need a small shoal of them as well and the tank is too small for that many.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I think that the betta would harass the shrimp at best, eat them at worst. Also in that small of a tank, the betta is likely to go after a larger snails tentacles. It can work, depending on the betta, but it usually works better in a larger tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store