New Astrea and Nassarius Snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Well, I went to my LFS and first, before doing anything, I got my water tested. They use a very good liquid test kit. My ammonia came in at 0, my nitrite at 0, pH at about 8.2, and finally, they testes my salinity with a refractometer, and it came in at 1.021, and I just added a bit more salt, so I am probably at about 1.023 right now. After testing my water, I decided to get some snails. I got 4 nassarius snails and 4 atrea snails. Will these snails breed in my tank and is there anything special I must do to get them to breed, or will they just not breed in aquariums?

Thanks a lot for your help!

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
you don't own a hydrometer?..You can get one for like 11 bucks?...You kinda need that..

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
yes I do have a hydrometer and mine says 1.023... I added salt since I was at the LFS and their refractometer said 1.021, so mine is probably pretty accurate.

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
Well, I went to my LFS and first, before doing anything, I got my water tested. They use a very good liquid test kit. My ammonia came in at 0, my nitrite at 0, pH at about 8.2, and finally, they testes my salinity with a refractometer, and it came in at 1.021, and I just added a bit more salt, so I am probably at about 1.023 right now. After testing my water, I decided to get some snails. I got 4 nassarius snails and 4 atrea snails. Will these snails breed in my tank and is there anything special I must do to get them to breed, or will they just not breed in aquariums?

Thanks a lot for your help!
?????? not understanding?..

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
why have them test the salinity, and then just add salt willy nilly, without premixing?..Doing stuff like that, your liable to crash your tank?..

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
All I added was 4 tablespoons of salt... and I did premix it in some tank water. I have tested before that by adding four tablespoons to my tank, 4 BIG tablespoons that I go up about 0.001, almost 0.002. So that means that my tank is at 1.023 right now. What don't you guys get, how am I confusing you and sorry for that? And why is everyone hating on me :( I ask one thing and I get answers to other things... But thanks anyways.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
All I added was 4 tablespoons of salt... and I did premix it in some tank water. I have tested before that by adding four tablespoons to my tank, 4 BIG tablespoons that I go up about 0.001, almost 0.002. So that means that my tank is at 1.023 right now. What don't you guys get, how am I confusing you and sorry for that? And why is everyone hating on me :( I ask one thing and I get answers to other things... But thanks anyways.
People are trying to give you advice based on experience. There are some things that need to be kept as stable as possible in this hobby. Inverts like stable conditions, for example. Adding chemicals without testing is NEVER a good idea. In your initial post you basically said that the store tested it and it came out a little low so you added some salt and now you guess it's at another level. In the same post you ask about how to successfully keep inverts and even go so far as to question about breeding them.

Step one is keeping stable conditions to keep them happy, which requires testing. Nobody is 'hating on you', they're trying to help you avoid problems like dead livestock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store