Mystery Snail vs Gold Apple Snail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cheungsta

AC Members
Nov 29, 2007
So Cal
So, i've been really contemplating the idea of adding either a Mystery Snail or a Gold Apple Snail to my 20G planted RCS and male guppy tank. What do y'all think? good idea? bad idea?

and between the two snails, i can't decide...i've only seen pics (mostly here) of both of them...is there much difference between the two? or simply just looks? is one of them easier to keep than the other? any other ideas are welcomed :grinyes:

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
It is just their coloration that is different. They are easy to keep but require a calcium rich diet to ensure good shell growth (either liquid calcium dosing, homemade food with calcium supplementation, or veggies with good calcium content). My only negative comment on them is that they are poop machines. They are super fun to watch and do great with RCS and small fish.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
yep, gold apple snails ARE mystery snails.

think of it like this:

apple snail = any snail from family Ampullaridae = "dog"

mystery snail = Pomacea Bridgesii = poodle, german shephard, chihuaua

so "apple snail" refers to any snail from Ampullaridae, usually meaning Pomacea or Marisa species. "mystery snail" generally refers only to Pomacea bridgesii - "brigs."

anything labeled as a "gold apple snail" is usually just another brig.

however, adding to the confusion, they are sometimes mis-labeled and are actually Pomacea canaliculata, a much larger, plant-eating species.

i'd ask your supplier what species their "gold apple snail" is.

cheungsta

AC Members
Nov 29, 2007
So Cal
cool...thanks for the feedback!

...My only negative comment on them is that they are poop machines...
so they're poop machines, eh? hmm...i guess i'll have to clean a bit more often if I do get them...thanks for the warning...

janetdc1

AC Members
Aug 25, 2007
web.me.com
My only negative comment on them is that they are poop machines..
LOL! msjinkzd you warned me in an email they were and you are right! I went to pick up my 2 gallon with 2 snails in it to transfer them to bigger tanks, and the poop rose up in the water like I couldn't believe! Man! I feed them very very little, too-
but they are so cool to watch I don't care!
A nice filtered tank will help, though- I was having to change their water every other day in that 2 gallon- poop machines for sure!LOL!(and I have platies and goldies, so to call 'em poop machines, you gotta know they really are! Platys are nothing compared to these guys!)
j

Last edited:

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Their number one priorites are eating, pooping, and mating...lol. I love them, but they certainly are not a "light bioload" creature like shrimp.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Their number one priorites are eating, pooping, and mating...lol. I love them, but they certainly are not a "light bioload" creature like shrimp.
But no one can say "my shrimp likes to crawl around on my hand, surf in the bubble wand, and wrap his entire body around cookies to be sure no one else can eat them," now can they? :D

i am adamant, snails are poopers but they're the coolest. :headbang2:

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Some stores might stock canas as "Golden Apple Snail", I'd make sure it's really Pomacea Bridgesii before buying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store