"Dirty" electric yellow-lab cichlid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mceagle555

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Question for everyone:

I recently purchased two yellow-lab cichlids from my LFS. Each is about 1.5" long and have seemed quite healthy swimming around the my tank. I don't know how else to describe it, but recently one of the two cichlids has almost changed color. While he is still yellow, it appears as though he has a coating of black soot on him. As if he rolled around inside a chimney. There is no change to the other cichlid in the tank. Water parameters are fine with a Ph of 7.6 and temp of 76-78 degrees.

I know what ICH looks like and I am fairly certain it isn't that. Is there a disease I am missing here, or is it possible for cichlids to change color in this fashion?

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Neither are yellow labs. The bottom certainly isn't as I have one of these, its a Daktari, you can tell by the black markings on the tail fin. The top one looks a little like a crabro

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Probably some type of hy-bred........

Prescu

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Top one actually looks like a male Kenyi to me. Even has the egg spots. I could be wrong though.

x0x0x0

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Inland Empire, Cali
the bottom one is definitely daktari.
The top one looks like it's been in a fight. kenyi. hmmm

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
I agree, I forgot male kenyi go yellow. I should of realised as I had to take mine out of my tank and return it as it was harrasing everyone else in the tank! Watch your Daktari, mine just digs and digs and digs!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store