Green Bubble Tip!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Magistrate30

Registered Member
Dec 5, 2007
I just bought a green bubble tip anenome from the fishy store. The clerk was new on the job and I wanted the anenome but he was stuck on a large piece of rock. He tried to dig the BT using his fingers out of the crevice. I asked him if he was hurting the BT and he said that it was normal to do. I told him I would just buy the rock which the BT was on. But he kept on diggin. Finally he gave up and sold me the rock at a discount and BT. When I got home the BT was off the rock. And I put him on a high flow high light area. within 2 hours he clamped on but was saggin down. Now he's really saggin over the rock. I think he's gonna die. But the tips are still blown up and my tomato clown is trying to revive him. And is inside the tips. Now with the BT being hurt will he recover or will it just pollute my tank and kill my Tomato clown if I keep him there any longer? The BT has been in my tank for 6 hours now and still drooping down over the rock. I have heard of horror stories about anenomes toxic content when they die and wiping out everything in the tank. I have about 50lbs of live rock in a 60G Cube 3 Chromes, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 clark clown, tomato clown, 2 feather dusters, 2 pink anenomes, 2 clear sea anenomes, about $150 dollars worth of mushroom and soft coral. So I don't want to wipe my tank out due to a $40 BT. Any ideas or suggestions?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
As you suspected the clerk was wrong in trying to forcibly remove the anemone. It may still be OK and it has simply deflated as anemones will do on a regular basis to purge themselves. Could you take a photo? The clown is probably doing more harm than good if it is hurt by the way. Are the other anemones all BTA? You mentioned clear ones? How long has the tank been set up and what kind of lighting? It is unusual for the two different types of clowns to get along.

Oh and welcome to AC!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
I'm guessing the anemone is small, in which case its dying probably wouldn't kill your tank. One of mine went through my pump a few weeks ago and all it did was cloud the tank...everything stayed happy, though...which was unexpected.

I'd give it a few days. anemones have very slow metabolisms, so chances are it could just be bummed out from its long trip from the ocean to your tank, which probably means it changed hands/water/tanks several times in recent past...which would probably upset it.

Hopefully that dipsh__ at the store didn't hurt it too much...you'd think they'd know better.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
At face value and the 6 hour time scale you mentioned, i would say hopefully it should be fine. I would say its just getting itself used to the new surroundings and the shock of what was done to it at the lfs...Fingers crossed all should be good with it...Of course, if you have QT tank, you could always move it to there untill it picks up if your worried about it dieing and taking out the tank..

Niko

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
It's a bad idea to keep 2 kinds of anemones in a tank--chemical warfare. Are you running carbon or Purigen?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store