African Dwarf Frog w/

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sm100378

Sep 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Hi everyone,

So I had to give my tiger barbs back to the LFS, they were attacking the neons too much.

So now I have what is shown in my signature. I have three african dwarf frogs in a separate bowl (no filter), but a good size for them. I am wondering if I can put them in my 37 gallon without any problems? I know that they will get along with this community, along with any more fish I plan to add, but want to know if this 37 tall is too much. If they don't make it to the top for food, what would I drop on the bottom for food, pending comments if this will work?

Thanks so much!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
the problem is they breath surface air as well. You could give it a whirl, but watch them closely. For food, frozen daphnia or artemia work really well when fed with a turkey baster. The frogs have poor vision, so they need a little help with feeding if they are in a tank with fish. There are also frog bites (pellets) that they will grudgingly eat.

~Kswords~

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
USA
How tall is your tank?

sm100378

Sep 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
How tall is your tank?

From the lowest point of substrate (front) to the height of the water is around 18.5 inches. From the highest point of substrate is around 17.5 inches.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
You may be pushing it height wise...but it may work. I would recommend having some floating surface plants. With those in place it might work out fine. Otherwise, its a stretch for them

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
frogs eat whatever fits in their mouths. i wouldnt think the neons would be safe but i have only dealt with the large african clawed frogs which demolished all fish in its tank regardless of size.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
frogs eat whatever fits in their mouths.
The ADF is very docile and stays quite small so a neon is even too big to fit in their mouth. You are absolutely right though if we were talking about ACF's as they do voraciously eat anything that they can cram in their mouths.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store