Moving fish from the old tank into a new one

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettaman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NY
Visit site
Whats up guys, I have some fish in a 10 gallon cycled tank that I want to move into a larger 20 gallon tank. Would it be enough to use the existing filter and gravel from the old tank? Or, would I have to cycle the new 20 gallon as well? I'm sure I can't just plunk the fish into the new 20 gallon without some loss.

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
If you move the filter and gravel to the new tank from the old tank it should be capable of processing close the same bio-load as in the 10G. If you're going to add some new gravel because the tank is bigger, I would add that first, then put the gravel from the cycled tank on top.

You shouldn't experience a cycle...or it will be very small.

mwood322

AC Members
Fill up the new tank, dechlorinate, then move the filter. Catch the fish from the old tank, and take out the decorations. Scoop out the gravel, rinsing it in the first tank. Lay it in the new 20 over a layer of new sand. Acclimate fish to the new tank as if you just bought them. Don't worry about getting your old water in the new tank, they should all be fine.

I've done this a few times, and only had losses if I rushed the acclimation.

--Mia

bettaman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NY
Visit site
Oh okay, I was just worried that the bacteria from the 10 gallon wouldn't be enough for the 20 gallon. I think that would only apply if I had more fish in the 20 than I had in the 10 right?

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store