My 20 gallon setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Here's my setup. Bought it a few weeks ago from someone on craigslist and it's been great so far. The residents are listed in my signature. Definitely a low light tank @ 24 watts.

I recently started up the DIY CO2 generator (being fed into HOB power filter) and the java ferns (the big one on the right and 4 or 5 small ones spread around the tank) and java moss are looking better.

There was a lot more moss on the wood when I got it but it was a tangled brownish mess that I couldn't get untangled. So I just ripped a bunch out (wished I kept it though so I could give it away).

Small clump of java moss clipped to the tank frame up top. Sorta filters out the surface current. Hopefully starts up into a "wall."

Here's a question: Do java ferns produce new leaves from the middle of cluster of stems? I thought they were a little different. I haven't seen any rhizomes (it's thicker, darker colored root-like thing, right?) yet. Yeah, I need to get that big one out of the plastic container.

I do have a problem with hair-like algae growing off the leaves of the fern and spread throughout the moss. And a few spots of algae throughout the tank but that's normal I guess.

And I need to get a few rocks to attach those ferns to.

I'm planning on getting some anacharis to fill in the back left corner and some hornwort up top.

Any suggestions? I think I might lean the piece of wood against the back corner if it fits but it looks good as it is now.

Oh, and if you want any more pictures to explain anything, let me know. I need more photo practice :)

DSC_0590.JPG DSC_0591.JPG

guppygirl123

Proud Member of the Muffin Mafia
Oct 15, 2006
U.S.A
I like it! Driftwood looks good.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
what kind of substrate is that? nice tank!
I have no idea what kind of substrate it is. There is some iron in there because I've noticed that when the cheap-o algae scrubber falls off into the substrate, some of it sticks to the scrubber.

I'll ask the previous owner if they know.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Hmmm...I wished I can edit because double posting feels weird to me. It (double posting) is frowned upon at other forums I visit. Anyways...

I emailed the previous owner and this is what he said:
"I believe it's some sort of dirt/clay mixture. I bought it at an aquarium store in Orange called, Ocean Blue. The guy there is named Brian and he's really friendly. All his fish are super healthy and don't die. The substrate is especially for planted tanks."

Hope that helps.

shaggbark

The rare and Elusive....Ninja Cod
Feb 12, 2007
Hopewell Jct. NY
Nice tank. The java plant "root thing" should turn into a plantlet over time, then you can plant it on it's own. HTH, Michelle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store