New AquaClear 30 is a bit noisy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

weldon

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
I decided to swap out the TopFin power filter that came in the tank kit with an AquaClear HOB. I picked it up at PetSmart this morning. I think I'm going to like the media choices in the AquaClear, but it makes a bit of mechanical/vibration noise that is annoying because the TopFin was pretty quiet.

I accidentally turned on the AquaClear while it was dry for a second or so, when I plugged it in. I forgot that I unplugged the other filter, rather than turning off the power strip like I usually do during PWC's.

Did I cause this vibration noise by plugging it in while dry? Should I pull the impeller out to look at it? Should I return it to PetSmart for another unit?

Aislinn

AC Members
Apr 8, 2007
Minnesota
How loud is this noise exactly? Sometimes brand new filters (even ACs) have a very slight hum for the first couple of days, but an AC should be silent after that. If this noise is loud, it's not at all normal for an AquaClear. If cleaning and re-seating the impeller doesn't quiet it down, I'd exchange it for a different one. AquaClears are usually not noisy at all.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I decided to swap out the TopFin power filter that came in the tank kit with an AquaClear HOB. I picked it up at PetSmart this morning. I think I'm going to like the media choices in the AquaClear, but it makes a bit of mechanical/vibration noise that is annoying because the TopFin was pretty quiet.

I accidentally turned on the AquaClear while it was dry for a second or so, when I plugged it in. I forgot that I unplugged the other filter, rather than turning off the power strip like I usually do during PWC's.

Did I cause this vibration noise by plugging it in while dry? Should I pull the impeller out to look at it? Should I return it to PetSmart for another unit?

if it was for a second that you turned it on dry then its no biggie.. alot of filters will have a slight hummm to it.. try to turn the switch from + to - and move it back and forth a few times.. at times when theres air bubbles in the rotor it will make some noise

weldon

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
It's hard to find something to compare the noise level. I say, something like having someone tap their fingers along a table. Not loud, but noticeable, and persistent. It's clearly a mechanical noise and not just the water flow.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
It's hard to find something to compare the noise level. I say, something like having someone tap their fingers along a table. Not loud, but noticeable, and persistent. It's clearly a mechanical noise and not just the water flow.
hey if you still got the receipt then take it back and exchange it for another one if it also makes noise then you know thats how its supposed to be and you will just need to get used to it.. or move on to Whisper (which is not really a whisper..has a little humm to it 2)

Elbrin

AC Members
Nov 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Sometimes removing the impeller and re-seating back into the filter will quiet the clatter in an H.O.B. If it is not seated squarely it could be wobbling as it rotates.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I have 23 or 24 AquaClears in current use. The first was put into service over 8 years ago and the most recent in the past 2 weeks. They range in size from the 100gph Mini to the 300gph 70.

Normally these filters have run pretty quiet. The "buzzing" noise is typically not caused by an inpeller issue, but rather by the lid vibrating. This has been a problem on an off over the years. In the past the occasionally noisey one that didn't settle down could be hushed by putting something on the lid- like a small rock etc.

However, over the past year or so every new AC I have purchased has made the noise and no amount of weight works this time around. I can also say that it is my impression that something has changed in terms of the plastic housing/lids themselves. I can't quite put my finger on it- the plastic seems thinner, more rigid and generallty of a lesser quality and fit. The only reason I have not returned the two noisey ones I have is that they are on tanks in a fish space in our storeroom where the noise is not a problem.

Fortunately I do not anticipate having to add any more ACs, especially since they are now, imo, an overpriced filter whereas for years they had been one of the most economical and reliable.

sapphire384

AC Members
Jan 20, 2009
Buffalo, NY
wow. well silence is really important, especially if you have to work or do anything nearby. im glad i read this before i went out tonight and bought an aquaclear 30!

i would just return it if the decision was mine to make.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store