How to catch Zebra Danios????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jcmonkeygirl

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
:confused:

I am trying to sell 5 zebra danios from my 55 gallon tank and i can't catch the little devils! I have tried bribing them with little amounts of food but i just can't catch them. Any ideas??? Please help!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
A really big net might help. Sounds silly but more net means a better chance. Of course you'll end up catching others as well probably.

alexv1n

AC Members
Jan 10, 2003
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Visit site
I understand your pain :) Been there, done that!

Actually I used two nets. One bigger (about 15 x 10 cm) and one just a small one.

I had to remove a couple large plants. I have one tall piece of a driftwood in the middle, so I placed the net between it and the glass on one side. Then used the other net to steer the fish around the driftwood and they had nowhere to go but in the net. Of course they escaped many times and I spend over an hour until I caught all 13 of them in my 55 gal tank. So, try over and over again and you'll catch the suckers...

Oh, when I have several fish cought in the net, I raise them to the surface but do not remove them from the water completely. Then I use the smaller net to catch the individuals I want from the basin formed by the big net. This way you can eaily select what you want and release the others...

jcmonkeygirl

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
thanks alot! I will try two nets! Everytime i try with my one small net i end up catching my scissortails.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
I had trouble when trying to move some Tiger Barbs - big net small net failed me (but it is a great method that usually works brilliantly). But thankfully Tiger Barbs are hungry litle buggers, so food in big net - in they go! Still took hours though...

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
I know exactly what you're going through. I have 8 zebra danios in my 20 gallon and I tried to get one specific male .... pfftt... I had only one net and I sat there for about 20 minutes with no luck. But what does work is I used a little bucket that holds about 1/3 of a gallon and I put it near the top. My fish just swam into it as they are very curious. It was just a matter of time before the right one swam in. :) I think they have net-phobia.

KateA.

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
Catching fish in a large tank is a skill! A larger net is a MUST HAVE. What works for me is to remove as many decorations as possible. Then use the net to scoot everyone over to one side, towards the front corner, then swoop up the net to the top of the water. Danios will frequently zoom to the top when you try to catch them, and usually this will capture a few at a time. 'Course they hide behind uplift tubes and everything else. I'm not coordinated enough to use 2 nets! LOL! I had 2 buenos airies tetras that I could not catch until I had drained the water from my 55 gal. (I was moving it across the room). When they were flopping on the gravel it was easy!

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
One of those plastic tank dividers can be purty useful too. They are almost a necessity to try to remove fast fish out of planted tanks without destroying the tank. D)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store