Help!!! Fighting angelfish!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Margaret1975

AC Members
Aug 15, 2007
I just treated myself to a beautiful black marble, veiltail angelfish. :drool:

My pearlscale won't leave the new angel alone! :angryfire: She/He constantly pesters the new fish and the new fish is bigger than the pearlscale!

It's entirely one sided. :wall:

I'm thinking about removing the pearlscale from the 90 gallon and putting it in my 5 gallon tank for a day or two until the veiltail gets a chance to establish its own territory and to get a rest.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to stop the fighting? :confused:

mbhw

AC Members
Sep 27, 2004
New York
It can be tough to add new angels to an established aquarium, especially if they are both males. I might be inclined to add another angel or two to displace the aggression, but I'm sorry to say I've never had luck putting large angels together.

ronw007

Breeder
Apr 17, 2007
Woodridge, Illinois
Real Name
Ron
Angelfish fighting

I agree with other posters, you may want to wait it out a bit before removing the Angel. A 90 gallon tank should be suffient for 2 angels as long as you have some hiding spots that they can seek refuge. jm1212 is correct if you rearrange things in your tank that may help as well. Also if you still where considering removing one of the angels temporarily I would remove the pearscale, move things arround in the tank and give a week or so and reintroduce the pearlscale. Also it is not always the male's that spar with each other (most of the time it is), I have a mated pair in there own seperate tank and on occasion I will see them spar with each other. They will spread there fins and color's will intensify and they will lip lock. This may be more of a mating thing then a sparring. The male's that I have witnessed will usually do a ramming motion toward the side of the other angel to protect their territory.

Last edited:

Margaret1975

AC Members
Aug 15, 2007
I would like to thank everyone for your advice.

the angels appear to be getting along much better. My pearlscale isn't picking on my veiltail as much. I'm still going to keep a close eye on things though. If need be, my pearlscale may be spending a couple of days in my 5 gallon fishy jail.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Or, you could try a tank divider until you think they have settled down. Good luck!

Margaret1975

AC Members
Aug 15, 2007
None of the tank dividers that I have come across in the stores in my area are big enough for my tank :shakehead:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store