Ghost Shrimp ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
:help:Is there anyway to tell the diff between the brackish water ghost shrimp, and the freshwater babied ghost shrimp? i have read that there are two diff types of them. ones that need brackish water for the babies and ones that only need fresh water and the babies arent planktonic, and hang on there mums?thanks have a great day.:grinno: Im looking to breed cherry shrimp in my 5 gal and make whats in my 5 gal now into a upgrade 10 gal that used to have a hermit crab in.

And if there are any "measley ghost shrimp" experts. in my 5 gal they run circles and are very active and most important dont die. and in my 55 gal they are sluggish and slowly die off at about 1 or 2 a day and after a week 12-15 outta the dozen i bought are dead. and i lose only 1-2 in the 5 gal after a week and then they are fine. i know i might answer my question by saying that i dont test a lick of water parameters. i do dechlor when i do my water changes. besides that i have a strict schedule of feeding, carbon replacement, water changes, live plants etc i am fairly lucky and never have fish die or algae blooms or disease. but i am working with hardy fish too i suppose. but i dont get it. good water?, food, java fern, japanese moss balls in each tank as well as floating hornwort in both. kents freshwater plant liq style trace element, but no copper. and i read that there so minute and the plants would soak em up to quick anyhow? the 55 gal has been up and running about 2 months before the 5 gal too. 55 gal is 4 months old and the 5 gal is two. sorry its long ugh.

So if anyone see's something wrong or can lend some tips id appreciate it.

flyte

^ has crabs
Oct 29, 2004
PA
I don't know if theres a way to tell if the ghost shrimp are supposed to be in brackish or not. I had 4 in a small freshwater tank, 2 males and 2 females. They always appeared to have eggs but nothing ever happened. When I slowly changed the tank to brackish, the eggs hatched and I even saw the tiny babies on the sides of the tank and on some of the wood. I don't think many survived but I see them every now and then mixed in with my java moss.
They seem to be much more active in the brackish water.
Don't know anything about the other shrimp, sorry!
Good Luck!

Last edited:

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
There are many species of Palaemonetes, but I believe the ones found in most LFS are a native species which live and breed in freshwater, and can live in low-end brackish. I really don't know how to tell each species apart though.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Does anyone know how long it should take to mate.
What the deal is with the female molting and then mating and dropping eggs. T/F
Is it really about 30 days to babies.
Whats the avrg baby count?
Any tips on getting them to molt then mate or mate?

Tank ok?- 5G with floating hornwort, good water, small clump of java moss, couple fake plants, cave.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Anyone?

jrh

AC Members
Sep 4, 2007
Alexandria, VA
I don't know about ghosts, but in cherry shrimp, the female holds the eggs in her back legs until they hatch. I've read that molting will cause her to drop the eggs, and that she'll also drop infertile eggs, or if the water conditions aren't right for their development.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Anyone got any help?

Does anyone know how long it should take to mate.
What the deal is with the female molting and then mating and dropping eggs. T/F
Is it really about 30 days to babies.
Whats the avrg baby count?
Any tips on getting them to molt then mate or mate?

Tank ok?- 5G with floating hornwort, good water, small clump of java moss, couple fake plants, cave.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
bump?

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Maybe it will help if you share what information you have found elsewhere.
i dont understand? might be too simple for me to read? lol

i think you want the info ive read to come up with these ?'s

i cant remember the sites is y i ask. i thought owners of theses pets would know the for real answers and not vary. and they would know off the top of there head like?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store