makeshift QT....?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RPetty

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
houston, tx.
I do not have a quarantine tank in my apartment... so i have been using 5 gal buckets with an air stone in each one. I change the water out every other day and so far i have not seen any problems with the fish i have in them. I medicate the water every other day with quick cure and I am about to start an antibiotic treatment for the last week of qt. Is this even an affective way to quarantine? Am I doing any good at all?
:confused:

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
Was gunna say the same thing....i would treat them less they are sick. someone correct me if i'm wrong but the buckets should be ok for a part time Qt and small fish.

RPetty

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
houston, tx.
they aren't sick... i treated them with quick cure because there were fish in the tank at the LFS that were scraching. and i am treating them with antibiotics because my friend at the LFS said that the diver that collected the fish uses needles to puncture the fishs swim bladder instead of using a decompression proceedure. both medications are being used as a precautionary measure. should i not have medicated them?​

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I know I'm not too bright when it comes to collecting fish from the ocean, but why would anyone deliberately puncture a fish's swim bladder?

I, personally, would not have medicated but kept an eye on them in the QT for any signs of illness and only then would I have medicated. I probably would do hyposalinity without question if they were in a tank with questionable tankmates. I'm not a fan of medication on fish or people without due reason.

RPetty

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
houston, tx.
i understand. i am introducing my yellow tang into my display tomorrow and will change the water in the other buckets to get rid of the medication. All my qt fish look really healthy and have wonderfull appetites... so meds aren't really needed. thanks guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store