What is the perfect setup for 75g freshwater tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

azwhupr

Alaskan Fishkeeper
Nov 16, 2007
Anchorage
The topic says it all...

I recently have been given an early xmas gift and received a used 75g tank. It came with two used powerhead filters, an undergravel system, and a used whisper filter that hangs on the back of the tank. It also has a light fixture with for two fluorescent bulbs.

I did have a 10g tank, so the change from small tank to big tank was a big( and welcomed) jump.

What is the perfect set-up for me? I know there is a lot out there and being slightly new to the aquarium world, there is a lot I do not know about when it comes to efficient aquariums.

Please give let me know as much as possible from the right filter for my system to the right lighting fixtures.

Any and all suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance

I'll probably keep using what came with the tank unless someone can tell me something better.

turkey day (3) - Copy.JPG

chadly831

chadly
May 13, 2007
massachusetts
a cichlid tank would look great. with lots of driftwood and slate caves

OldMan1947

OldMan
Mar 24, 2005
Central Illinois
If your picture is the new tank, I suggest you go here http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84598 before doing any more. The fish you have in it are in for a rough time if you are not up on cycling the tank. Right now I would say you need a liquid test kit like the one made by API so that you can monitor your cycle and react to protect your fish.
I love the way the tank looks in the picture, its quite a nice one. Just worried about the fish and any future additions.

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
Get rid of the under-gravel filter and get a decent hang-on-back or canister filter. Change the light bulb. Put a dark blue background. Also, as someone already said, the tank needs to be cycled.

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I'd go with a canister over a HOB, but that's just an opinion. There are so many different setups. There really isn't one that's "perfect". It depends on what type of fish you want to keep (big ones or small ones?, lots or a few, aggressive or community) and what kind of conditions are easiest for you to create really.

Hammy & Waf

fishaholics
Nov 8, 2007
columbus, oh
what you have would work well if you keep the fish load light, but if your want to go bigger with the fish, you have to go bigger with the equipment. we use a penguin 350 in our 75 gallon and it works pretty well, but it is easy to get the parameters out of whack with just a hob filter, so we will be uprgrading to a canister filter, the rena xp3, and moving the penguin. your setup could work well, maybe get a better filter to go on the back and a reverse flow undergravel (that's what we are going to do in our goldfish tank) or a canister filter. as far as fish, your possibilities are great, a small school of large fish, a large school of small fish, lots of small schools of small fish (what we have). what kind of fish do you have in there now?

deadxero

AC Members
Feb 18, 2005
I would agree with most of the others that a canister filter is your best option for a tank that size. I would not recommend getting rid of the UGF but converting it to a reverse UGF if possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store