How to sex the Green Mandarin Goby

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
As in my avatar, I think this is regarded at a "Male" Green Mandarin Goby, and the one which looks exactly the same, however missing the spine on the dorsal fin when erect is the female. I have only been told this but don't definitively know that this is the case. I went to a LFS today, first time for a long time, I was almost tempted to purchase another Green Mandarin Goby, simply because it had no dorsal spine, I ended up deciding against it and directed my retail therapy instead to a couple of corals until I am sure that this is the case... Hey, I don't even know if by putting a female in with the male (if that is the case) won't end in tears either. Gordon, my avatar I believe is a male Green Mandarin, correct me if I am wrong. The one I saw in the LFS today was substantially smaller, so, there are two unknowns which I would like some light shed on.

Can male and female coexist?

Can, even if the specimen is smaller, be
definitively sexed simply by not having the spine but a small fan for a dorsal? (I checked for physical damage and it seemed that there was none)

Watched a couple of the fragging youtube vids and I am inspired! Prorogation tank coming up! Thanks Niko! for that sticky.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Sexing can only really be done when the fish has matured..The male has the much longer dorsal fin..You can have a male and a female or two females in a tank together, but two males will fight...

Hope that helps

Niko

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I have heard the same as you, noskimmer. But, if it is still that young, trying to sex it accurately may be nothing more than a guess.

If the tank is large enough and / or both freely eat the foods offered to them, I wouldn't forsee any problems with putting a male and female together. One of the stores in my area had a male / female pair together separate from their display tanks hoping they might breed. I don't think they ever did sucessfully mate, but they did get along just fine from what I saw and heard from friends that visited the shop.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I have heard the same as you, noskimmer. But, if it is still that young, trying to sex it accurately may be nothing more than a guess.

If the tank is large enough and / or both freely eat the foods offered to them, I wouldn't forsee any problems with putting a male and female together. One of the stores in my area had a male / female pair together separate from their display tanks hoping they might breed. I don't think they ever did sucessfully mate, but they did get along just fine from what I saw and heard from friends that visited the shop.
Heard that too...Near enough all references have been about sexing as mature fish..

Niko

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
cool, Thanks guys! Appreciated.

cyrus

Registered Member
Mar 6, 2010
I "hear" and I'm not a fan of hear say, but I hear that mandrins are pimps and you can fill a herem with upto 3 females if they don't box over him. Males can't be in the same tank.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
Here's a pretty good pic of my male showing the spike dorsal fin.
I had a pair that spawned pretty frequently, but they are very difficult to breed.
I heard ORA is now breeding them, but they are one of a handful of successful mandarin breeders in the world.
I also have pics of their spawning dance, and female preggo/fat, but it was right after a tank transfer, so pics aren't clear.
This is male;

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
LOL, thanks, the male was my avatar for a long time.
The pair were awesome to watch, kind of like when hawks link and fall from the sky, but opposite, as the mandarins would go up to the surface and then break off.
They did this only towards end of light cycle, usually when just actinics/getting dark.
That I guess is just one of the reasons it's hard to collect spawn/eggs and raise them.
I thought about it, but after I talked to Marc Melev he told me how difficult it was.
Unfortunately when I downsized my system they went w/ it, so I don't have then anymore.
But I will get another pair soon.
My system is loaded w/ pods now.(I would never rely on prepd food sustaining them long term)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store