feeding bolivian rams?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

razon

AC Members
Nov 1, 2007
any suggestions on good sinking pellets/wafers/sticks for rams?? having a little trouble getting them to eat

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
Mine will eat flakes that are in the water column (not floating), but they prefer the alga wafers I feed the cories and otos with. They also seem to like shrimp pellets and they'll kill you for frozen brine shrimp.

Blairo1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2007
Mine are doing really well on New Life Spectrum cichlid formula.

They aren't like many fish in that they don't usually rush up to the front for food (unless they're really hungry or in larger groups) and they don't usually swim to the surface either, it very much depends what they have learned to accept prior to your purchasing them - if they were raised on flakes and you feed pellets, it will take them time to recognize this as the new food source. It's my experience that they tend to see the food fall, casually make their way to it and then pick at it from the substrate, this is their preferred way of eating particularly with a fine sand substrate as they are then able to sift it...

Have you seen them pecking at the substrate at all?

What are you currently feeding them?

Blair.

deadxero

AC Members
Feb 18, 2005
My Gold Rams have slowly become more and more aggressive at feeding time. At first they would wait until food hit the bottom of the tank then pick up the left overs, as mentioned above. Eventually they started feeding further up in the water column, and I even have one that will race to the surface as soon as I drop some food in. I would say, as long as they are eating enough to remain healthy, don't worry about it too much. They will grow accustomed to your presence in time and become a little more friendly.

Blairo1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2007
^^ Yes my Blue Rams did this as well, however I haven't seen it quite as much in Bolivians which is why I wanted to point it out - I know of some instances where Bolivians do this with only one or two individuals, but IME from my fish and from talking with others it seems that this behaviour is more likely to occur when they are in a shoal, and particularly whilst they are still young.

:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store