can I leave my amazon sword in the pot?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eaglesandfish

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
Porter TX
I recently bought a large amazon sword. It came in a little plastic mesh pot. the roots have already grown through the pot. I would like to just leave it in the pot and put some medium size rocks around it. Any thoughts?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Amazon swords get very big. Do not leave either the pot nor the rock wool on the plant as it will impeded root growth. The rock wool is normally infused with ferts at the nursery. Some fish that dig or forage in the substrate can dig it up and the results are not good.

Swords develope huge root systems and really need several inches of substrate.

To give you an idea of the size amazons get, here is a pic of one in my 75 gal. The tank is about 21 inches deep and the leaves broke the surface. (sorry for the poor pic quality).

eaglesandfish

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
Porter TX
I would like to repot the plant in a biger pot. I would like to be able to move the plant around when I clean. I have a very small black gravel (more like large black sand) substrate and my turtle likes to dig in it. Any sugestions on re-potting.. size,type,etc. Thanks.
Oh by the way. That is a great looking Sword

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Use as large a clay pot as you can. Be sure it can hold at least a 3 inch depth of gravel. Swords are heavy root feeders so you may want to consider adding a piece of a root tab pushed down to the bottom of the pot and replenished about every 3 months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store