Zoas seperating from rock.. Normal; not normal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I got a rock covered with zoas from Petco for a steal.. They lost the product info on it and couldn't remember the price.

I think I paid 20 bucks for the rock with about 100 zoas on it.

It's been in my tank for a month or two, and appears quite healthy. It opened within an hour of being in my tank, and opens every day without any apparent issues.

Unusually, (or maybe not?) they've begun to seperate from the rock. I tried to attach some of the frags to another rock, but they didn't make it. I have several frags of zoas just sitting in my sand bed looking healthy, but with my damsels I'm worried they'll end up buried.

Any suggestions?

FYI: I dose my tank with iodine once a week, and calcium every other day. I also supply phytoplankton; mostly for my cucumber though..

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I hate to say this, but I honestly don't know..
It was recommended that I do it by a LFS, so I've been doing it. I actually don't do it as much now, but I was for a little while.

I know I should get a test kit, and I most likely will in the near future.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Iodine is very easy to overdose. Many don't dose for it at all because adequate numbers are often managed by performing water changes since it is in the salt mix most use. I'd definitely not dose anymore until you get a test kit for it.

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Then, consider it stopped..
I'm more worried about the strange behavior of my zoas, anyways..

I'd hate to see them all die or seperate from the rock, only to be buried alive!!

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
My one set of zoas have done that but I was able to glue them to a small piece of rock and they opened up fine. So much so, I exchanged them at my LFS yesterday!!! I assumed it was just their way of spreading especially as the "mother" colony was getting quite large and you can't tell where the little clump came from. I wasn't/am not worried about mine.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
If they are coming loose, have you tried covering the colony with some fine mesh material to see if they will reattach? I've found with some of my zoas that they don't like the glue really well.

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I tried gluing some onto another rock, and most didn't make it.. I have one left on the rock at this time, but once they died, something picked the rock clean..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store